Stone & Wood Draught Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might give it a shot next time. I don't think the mix of malt and wheat was to much of a problem just my hop schedule

Who knows maybe it will settle down. I've had beers that were awesome from the fermenter but then once drinkable I found them to be lacking flavour! Haha let's hope so

Yep forget the keg for a few weeks it should smooth off nicely with a bit of time hopefully :drinks:

Yep forget the keg for a few weeks it should smooth off nicely with a bit of time hopefully :drinks:

It will settle down with time but I had a go at a S&W clone where I was over zealous with the Galaxy. I have left it nearly 5-6 months and it is still too aggressive. I think the key is balance, if my malt bill had been better the beer would be a lot smoother and more drinkable.

ymmv B)

Thought I would report back and happy to say it has really settled down in the keg the last few weeks.

Bl00dy nice beer to drink now hahah Its a big hit with SWMBO and the mates.

Still cloudy but that is the wheat extract me thinks. Very refreshing tasty beer, is it Stone and Wood not exactly
But I've got a few of the McOriginals in the fridge that I have been getting people to compare and they are happy to say its around the same taste or know what i was aiming for.
Some say they like mine better hahahahahha or maybe cause I'm so big they were worried at offending me

Thought I would report back and happy to say it has really settled down in the keg the last few weeks.

Bl00dy nice beer to drink now hahah Its a big hit with SWMBO and the mates.

Still cloudy but that is the wheat extract me thinks. Very refreshing tasty beer, is it Stone and Wood not exactly
But I've got a few of the McOriginals in the fridge that I have been getting people to compare and they are happy to say its around the same taste or know what i was aiming for.
Some say they like mine better hahahahahha or maybe cause I'm so big they were worried at offending me

Thanks for the follow up.

I'll be giving your recipe a go as soon as I work out how to do my first extract, and negotiate a couple of hours of kitchen time :)

I'm gonna put one of these down tonight, here's what I picked up at Beer Belly today
1 can light malt extract
1kg dry wheat malt
1kg light dry malt
200grams Galaxy pellets (14.5% AA)

Wishing I bought the flowers instead of the pellets now, they smelled INCREDIBLE in the shop.

I'll be using US05 and I also have some dex handy.

First I was thinking I was going to use 500g of the wheat malt and 500g of the light, but now I'm thinking that won't be enough wheat, so will probably use the full kilo of dry wheat malt instead and maybe 300g dex.

Now just trying to nut out a hop schedule... I'll be doing a 5L boil. I was thinking

15g @ 30 mins

20g @ 15 mins

20g @ 5 mins

10g @ 0 mins

and probably dry hop 15g a couple of days in. How does this sound? Too much? Any ideas suggestions welcome.

I would use more like 5g at 30 and gradually up ur hops usage from there for more flavor and aroma. Will be too bitter otherwise. Galaxy has balls use wisely 

Yeah cool, actually after posting that last one I thought more about it and changed it to
5g @ 30
15g @ 15
15g @ 5
15g @ 0.

Glad I changed it. :)

Well, just read this thread this morning after having nearly posted my first recipe to the data base last week end as I was so impressed with the recipe below that is very similar to the other K&K recipes in this thread.

Fat Yak

Cooper's Canadian Blonde
200g of Carapils
500g LDME

Malt in 4l of boiling water with runnings of carapils.
10g Galaxy @10min
5g Galaxy @flame out
10g Galaxy @ 48hr dry hop
Swiss Lager Yeast

I was aiming to make a Naked Blonde(hence the lower ac%) for the mother & father in law. It was a pleasant suprise to crack one after two weeks and find that it tasted like Stone & Wood. I've been forced out of AG for a bit with the new job and this is the quick keg filler that I'd been looking for.

The hops have faded way too fast though and that is why I ended up not posting the recipe. I've got another in the fermenter now with US 05 to see if it helps the hops shine better before I start playing with amounts.

Cheers

Hirns

Anyone? I'm gonna get started in about half an hour.

Sounds good.
All I can add is that you should be glad you got pellets. They're much better to dry hop with. I made a 10min IPA with Galaxy, and dry hopped half with Flowers, half with pellets. The pellet one had better aroma IMO.

That's interesting, as I was regretting getting the pellets over the flowers as the flowers smelled way better.

Looks like I've made all the right choices!

Only a couple of things went wrong as I was boiling... I looked away for about 20 seconds and it happened to be right at the point when the wheat malt boiled over and created a mess of the stove.

Also as I cooled the boil before I put it in the fermenter it was really tough to break up all the big chunks of dry wheat malt that formed in the fermenter. Managed to break up most of it though.

OK so I'm into day 3 of this brew in the fermenter. I'm using US05 for the first time, I didn't rehydrate it as I usually do as the instructions on the packet just said to sprinkle it in dry.

Even now in day 3, the krausen is barely 1 cm high. Bugger all really. Never encountered this before. Is this normal for US05? Or could it be because I used a full kilo of dry wheat malt? Anyone?

What temp are u brewing at? Perhaps using a clean spoon give it a light stir without splashing it around.

Cool.

I used hydrated Nottingham for my last brew (Neill's Centenarillo) and that fermented like crazy. I'm using one of the new Coopers fermenters that are semi transparent and if you looked close you could see just how turbulent the wort was... it was like a tornado. US05 is completely the opposite.

Well, just cracked open my first Pacific clone today and I'll be buggered if it isn't almost EXACTLY like the real thing... I think I nailed it. Considering one is made in a commercial brewery and mine was made in my kitchen and living room, its effectively identical. The bittering profile is ever so slightly different but otherwise...

I highly recommend you guys try this recipe and see what you think.

1 can Coopers liquid light malt
1kg dry wheat malt
I *think* 300 grams dex... although it isnt in my notes, I think I just forgot to write it down.. damn!! (edit - yep definitely 300g dex... I now remember putting it in)
5L hop boil with 500g of the wheat malt
5g galaxy @30 mins
15g galaxy @15
15g galaxy @5
15g galaxy @0
US05 yeast
15g galaxy dry hopped on day 5.
OG 1.040
Made to 23L
I took a FG reading but didnt write it down in my notes... really need to up my note taking game as my memory is shithouse.

Latest posts

Back