Stockings as Hop Socks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Pretty much as the title suggests, can I use stockings as hop socks in the boil?

if so does it matter what colour? will black impart dyes?

I'm paranoid about getting hop stuff stuck in my FPHE of my (in the build) system.

any info appreciated. cheers

You'll want to boil them separately first to remove excess dyes etc. Good to go after that.

However, you really want to make sure they aren't packed tight so the hops can move around freely. If you're using a fair amount you may wish to consider getting some swiss voille or a commercial hop sock if you're set on containing the hops.

[EDIT: blasted homophones!]

i've got some voile (for my BIAB bag) just struggling to comprehend how i'd contain the hops in them (non sewing household)

As above. I use them for dry hopping but it doesn't allow for the hops to spread out.
A pro brewer suggested to use those ladies delicates zip bags for the washing mashing.

Not sure what he does for dry hopping though....

EDIT: for dry hopping only not in the boil

I've used stockings before, boiled them as bum suggests, and then use one leg for each hop addition.

Oh, and to make sure nothing escapes? Tie a knot in the top. Have a peg or two handy to attach the top of the stocking to your hoist/rope/string/whatever above the kettle.

Charst said:
A pro brewer suggested to use those ladies delicates zip bags for the washing mashing.
Those what?

... After a conversation with one of the ladies at work, apparently women buy special bags to wash their underwear in. I'm learning! :D

I've minimashed and dry hopped with stockings before, no discernible issue.

Get someone cute to wear them first.

manticle said:
Get someone cute to wear them first.
Adds to the flavour for sure :lol:

I have used in both the boil and in dry hopping no problems at all...I usually just get the natural colour and give it a boil before hand

on topic, for about $8 , paint strainer bags (also sold by HB suppliers as grain bags) make ideal swimming pools for little hoppies. As the fabric billows up and down in the rising steam and foam, the hops get massaged.

recycled Bribie G photo;

brewday hops.jpg

I use muslin with a bit of twine to hold it together, disposable but less to clean

Back