Stir Up?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
Is it good to stir a brew a few days after the yeast was pitched ??

is it a good idea to stir the brew at all? To move hops around etc?

Is it ok or not to stir a beer before bottling?

Any thoughts on stirring homebrew s during fermentation

regards

:beer:

Hi Keef

From what I have read on here, once the wort is down, don't open/stir/disturb the brew until it has finished fermenting.

Too much chance of disturbing the Co2 layer above the wort from the yeast, spoon etc.

I'm sure others with more experience than me will give more detailed advice, but from hat I've read, no, don't stir . . .maybe swirl the feremter to get some movement of yeast etc but definietly no stirring.

Happy to be corrected of course

Cheers

With a nice PA with extra DME at about 2 deg celscius hehehe

Is it good to stir a brew a few days after the yeast was pitched ??

is it a good idea to stir the brew at all? To move hops around etc?

Is it ok or not to stir a beer before bottling?

Any thoughts on stirring homebrew s during fermentation

regards

:beer:

As long as the kit was all mixed up well prior to pitching I'd leave well alone and leave it sealed for the duration until you are ready to bottle it. You risk infection by opening it, introducing a stirring tool and disturbing the CO2 layer on the top of it.

Don't fuss, let nature take its course :) Hope it goes well Cheerz Wab

I only ever stirred when adding finnings, just gently, I hardly ever even sterilized the spoon, almost all of the fermentables were gone and the beer never sat that long anyway. I had no ill effects either.

Why would you want to stir it?
Stirring the wort in primary will increase the risk of infection and oxidation (both bad).
There is no need to stir a brew sitting on the trub in primary, if you are worried that all the yeast has settled to the bottom and wont carbonate your beer in the bottles, dont be.... Trust me there are still alot of yeast cells in the suspension.
If you add finings or bulk prime, a GENTLE stir with a sterilised spoon is fine.

Cheers :beer:

Why would you want to stir it?
Stirring the wort in primary will increase the risk of infection and oxidation (both bad).
There is no need to stir a brew sitting on the trub in primary, if you are worried that all the yeast has settled to the bottom and wont carbonate your beer in the bottles, dont be.... Trust me there are still alot of yeast cells in the suspension.
If you add finings or bulk prime, a GENTLE stir with a sterilised spoon is fine.

Cheers :beer:

if you dont ask questions how can u learn

As long as the kit was all mixed up well prior to pitching I'd leave well alone and leave it sealed for the duration until you are ready to bottle it. You risk infection by opening it, introducing a stirring tool and disturbing the CO2 layer on the top of it.

Don't fuss, let nature take its course :) Hope it goes well Cheerz Wab

thanks wabster

Back