Stir plate Mod

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkuna

Reaction score
Has anyone modified the KK heated magnetic stir plate ?? I was thinking about adding a thermostat to control the temperature At the moment the heating switch is just on or off with no heating control at all

Howdy,

I've modified that stirplate with a STC-1000 in the front. Few notes/observations.
  • You still get 2-5C overshoots on the temperature (depends on the volume being stirred), as the STC-1000 isn't a PID controller, so won't adjust for overshoot.
  • The wiring inside is pretty basic, but in my unit was all the same colour, so you need to be VERY careful.
  • I put a 3 way switch in the heating spot, so that I can run using no heat/STC-1000 controlled/always on heat.
  • The unit is made of steel, so difficult (but not impossible) to cut if you are planning to mount internally.
Overall the mod's been pretty handy as it allows me to run up a starter on the bench without starting up my fermentation chamber.

Yeah maybe I'll buy the Yeast Forge I live In Melbourne I will definitely need a heating element It will safe me a lot of mucking around Doing Mods thanks

I stuck a brewpi on a home grown stir plate to monitor temps. Showed it naturally heated to 29 deg c when ambient was 23 I think. Was thinking about controlling a thermoelectric heater/cooler in a jacket around the side of the flask. So yes you could hack it but unless you like playing with that sort of stuff prob better off getting a yeast forge.

Kind of :icon_offtopic: but consider modifying your fermentation fridge rather than the actual stir plate.
Pic shows old bar fridge with two x 240v leads + TempMate probe going in through the side.
One x 240v controls the heat pad & the other hooks up to the stir plate.

Been doing my starters at optimum temp for years without any problems.

Starter Heat Control.JPG

TempMate Setup 1.JPG

Latest posts

Back