Stinky Lager :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacobo

Reaction score
Hi, I just put down a lager kit about three days ago and now it's starting to develop a strong sulfur smell...

The fermenter is sitting at about 18C and I used the included Yeast (don't think it's a true lager yeast as the tin said ferment at 16-24C), boiled for about an hour, added 250g dry malt extract, 250g maltodextrin and 500g dextrose, then cooled to 20C then pitched the yeast. The kit was a Wal's Dry Lager kit.

Is my batch infected with a bug or should I ride it through :/?

Attached a pic of the krausen as well (only had it open for about 5 sec so please don't fret too much haha)

DSCN0495.JPG

Sulphur and lager yeast isn't uncommon, especially if underpitched or otherwise stressed. Ride it like a cowbow

Thanks for the replies, yeah i cleaned and sanitised everything with star san, and that's strange about TCB saying it has a real yeast strain on the tin it said between 16-24C :/ or so I though I read, will be cooling down the fermenter very soon then

"Brew this one cool (7 °C to 15 °C) as it is supplied with a true lager yeast *"

Dropping the temp now won't make a real lot of difference - being three days in a fair whack of the fermenting will be done.

What if I left it in secondary for a few weeks would that help with the sulfur smell?

Jacobo said:
What if I left it in secondary for a few weeks would that help with the sulfur smell?
Time is amazing at masking the mistakes we can hide

Yes, as other have said, if it is a true lager yeast it may exhibit sulfur as a passing side effect (should fade over time), but 18-degrees is too warm for a true lager yeast.

The sulphur smell is common and I wouldn't worry as this will "disperse" over time. Coopers European Lager mentions the sulphur smell and recommends conditioning in the bottle for 12 weeks before drinking.
Cheers

Wal's dry lager has a Mauri 497 lager yeast which apparently has temp range from 10 - 15 deg but have heard it works well at ale temps. It is the yeast of choice at Ubrewit places used at ale temps.

I was just wondering why you boiled a Wal's kit for an hour?

Lager yeast will emit sulpher like aromas this is normal.
Lagers should be brewed at lower temps 12c - 15c
The sulpher aroma will disipate with bottle conditioning.

I just put the main points above as other members have answered.

Back