Still At High Krausen But Hit Target Fg 2 Weeks Ago... Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
So I made an American Pale Ale with US-05 yeast. Pitched yeast 20th April and it hit target FG of 1014 after 8 days (28th April). 2 weeks later it's still got a good 2inch krausen on top. I raised the temp 10 days ago by 1 degree per day from 19.5 to 21.5 and then it sat at 21.5 for approx a week now. I also dry hopped 40g mixed Centennial/Cascade 10 days ago.

Since then the krausen just hasn't dropped off.

I've read in a few other chats that some people experience the krausen doesn't always drop back in to the beer with US-05 yeast.

Given it's been at terminal gravity for a couple weeks, I'm thinking I'm ok to bottle it. I use plastic fermenters so will bottle from the bottom tap as opposed to the top - thus will avoid getting extra sediment from the krausen into the bottles.

Anyone see a risk?

If you're concerned can you crash chill it for a few days to see if it'll drop? I'd be happy to bottle (preferably in PET) if you've reached predicted FG and it's not moved for a while, ie: below predicted FG (which might point to infection).

+1 to post above.

Crash Chill, then bottle for sure.

Keep an eye on the bottles once carbed up, test for carbonation after 3-4 weeks too.

I've actually never crash chilled my beers before. Assume this literally just means getting it down to a much cooler temp so the yeast settle out? Is there an ideal temp to crash chill to?

Between 0 and 4 degrees would be ideal. Basically regular fridge temps.

Between 0 and 4 degrees would be ideal. Basically regular fridge temps.

Ok cool thanks. Then from there it means just adjust for the temp when calculating the priming sugar and bottle. Then let it warm up to condition in the bottle for 2-3wks? So essentially same as bottling at fermentation temp with just a crash cool step followed by warming it back up...

No need to adjust the temp: it's highest temp reached during/after fermentation that counts for priming rates.

You will need to store at fermentation temps for carbing though. No need to let it warm up to prime - just for carbing itself.

Ok thanks. So as an example if my desired CO2 is 2.5 volumes and I fermented at 19deg (excluding the end when I raised for 1 week to 21deg), then I need approx 110g sugar for priming in a 20L batch (estimating this by eyeball - still at work right now). I wouldn't use the priming rate based upon a temp of say 2 degrees or similar which would be the temp when bottling? Just want to be sure I'm not adding in way too much sugar because if I used 2 degrees the required sugar drops down to approx 50g. Obviously I don't want any exploding bottles....

On that, will finings also help the krausen to fall back in? Maybe a step to do after crash chilling to help along if it still hasn't happened?

that sounds right. you would use the 21 deg figure because it would have let go of co2 at that temp and not made any more at 2 deg to change the figure reqiured.

Latest posts

Back