Steralising Bleach Qty Question.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 150 ml of unscented White King bleach in my cleaned Coopers 30 litre fermenter.Fill it up with cold water.Leave it for 60+ minutes.Drain.Rinse it well with warm/hot tapwater via a hand held shower.No problems in over 50 brews.

I put 150 ml of unscented White King bleach in my cleaned Coopers 30 litre fermenter.Fill it up with cold water.Leave it for 60+ minutes.Drain.Rinse it well with warm/hot tapwater via a hand held shower.No problems in over 50 brews.

The only problem is the amount of water wastage.

I change my sanitisers around a bit in case the bugs get used to them but when I was using the bleach I used the 30mls bleach 30mls plain white vinegar in 20l water.

Dilute the bleach in the water before adding the vinegar to prevent the production of nasty gas...

I use what I need on the day and then fill 4 or so plastic bottles (all marked clearly with permanent marker) to use until the next time I need to re-fill.

I do the same thing with iodophor...

bconnery . are you saying that i could save all the water/bleach that comes out the fementer and use it multiple times ?

At face value I would be concerned with adding vinegar. There is a good chance it contains lactic acid producing bacteria.

Chlorine will do the job by itself. ( i go by rule of if you can smell it, it is working) Just make sure you rinse with boiled water.

cheers

Darren

Surely any bacteria in the vinegar would be swiftly killed by the bleach. Otherwise what's the point of it?

bconnery . are you saying that i could save all the water/bleach that comes out the fementer and use it multiple times ?

Not multiple times as such, just not throw away the stuff you don't use...
I use one of my spare fermenters to mix up a batch, use it to sanitise anything that needs it on the day, and bottle the rest. I then use the stuff from the bottles, but don't re-use that after it has been used for something...

I do this. It's worked well for me.

Let me add that I clean fermenters first pretty thoroughly to get rid of crud. Then use the bleach/water/vinegar and give it a good swish. Then 'll pour that into a cube if I have one ready for sanitising. After a few turns I ditch it.

I did the following chart based on the basicbrewing interview with the starsan guy.
Vertical is the number of mls of bleach with the same amount of white vinegar required.
Add Water then chlorine then vinegar I think - certainly dont add the vinegar and acid together or you are in the trenches.

bleach_dilution_for_80ppm__versus_bleach_conc___.png

Back