Steeping Specialty Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stixjew

Reaction score
Hi all, ive just made my first purchase from one of the above sponsors and would like some info on the 200gm grain infusion packs from ESB.On the pack it says to boil 2 litres of water turn it off then soak the grain for 20 mins then add to brew. Thats fine i can do that easily but i want to add hops and a bit of malt as well (im doing a coopers lager plus EB1 pak and tarting it up a bit for my first brew)

Ive read somewhere it says to remove the grain after the 20 mins steep, then bring the wort back to the boil and wait for the "hot break" stirring madly so the froth or bubbles don't overflow then it should start to clear after a few mins.Can someone please confirm the correct way to do it, i dont have a thermometer yet so wont be able to steep the grains at 65 to 70 spot on as yet, soon i will tho!

After i have this (grain steeping) down pat i was thinking of addding 200 gms light dry malt then my hop additionsto the wort? does this sound correct? Phew, its quite confusing when you just start off but i would like to make good quality beer, if at all possible. ive browsed on the HOW to make beer website a bit for info it has tons as well as here.Thanks guys

My understanding is that you don't want to boil the grains themselves, as that will release tannins from the grain. Once the grain is removed then it is ok to boil, add hops, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes it can be quite confusing at the start. For me I just had to do it to learn it.

It appears that your first step up from a standard kit is adding specialty grain and you have done the right thing by reading the article on steeping grain. Steep the grain in hot water, with no thermometer (get one!) use water that is hot enough that if you hold your finger in it for a couple of seconds it would be very hot but not scald. Sixty to Seventy degrees C is fine, all you are trying to do when steeping grain is to dissolve and extract the sugars in the grain. After draining the wort from the grain and rinsing with hot water you will need to boil it (without the grain) for ten to fifteen minutes to ensure killing any nasties from the grain if not adding any hops at this stage you can then add the boiled wort to your fermenter and do the rest as you would normally.

Adding LDME and spec grain rather than dextrose will require hop additions to balance out the extra sweetness. This is also simple when you get a handle on it.

Brew on, It only gets better as you try more techniques

Cheers
Gavo

Edit: welcome aboard and hang around for the ride.

For steeping use 700ml boiling water then add 300ml cold tap water should give around a 65C steeping temp. Double up for 2 litres etc.

If you think you are losing a load of temperature just stick the pot in a preheated oven set on low leave for 30-60 mins.

Yes you are correct remove grains before boiling up with hops.
Dead easy away you go steeping done.

Thanks heaps for the replies fellas, i can't wait to start brewing! One last question, as im using hop pellets do i put them in a bag or just drop them straight in to the boiling wort out of the pak? cheers

That one is a question of taste stixjew. Some prefer a hop sock, others add the hops straight in. It makes no difference, unless you want to collect some of the yeast at the end (then use a hop sock, it's easier).

I say let them float free, just drop them in. You may want to change later or may not, keep it simple for the start of your journey.

Cheers
Gavo

Back