steeping some grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanboy

Reaction score
Hi all, I am stepping up from a beer kit fermented in the shed to steeping some grains and fermenting in a temperature controlled fridge. I have been reading for hours trying to look for a decent recipe but its becoming confusing. I have ordered 500grm of medium crystal malt of which I intend to use 100grms over 5 brews to see if I enjoy the flavor. I enjoy pale ales and most draught and lager extracts from the tin is there any proven recipes from you guys that I can start off on. I work a lot so its something that couldn't take all day to make and I live in north queensland so I have access to a local home brew shop for dme, dex, hops, yeast etc. Your help and advice would be much appreciated.

I made this up a couple of months ago and it was really tasty. You can swap the crstyal around along with the kit can and even the hops with any of the C hops. Can even swap the liquid malt for a kilo of dry and swap 500g - 1.5kg for some Amber if you want something darker. You can increase the hop additions for more flavor.

Batch size 21 litre

Coopers Lager Kit
1.5kg Liquid LME
500g Light DME
200g Light Crystal (40-60)
Yeast - US-05

Steep grain for 30mins in 3 litres of water at 65-70 degrees.

Remove the grain and top up to 5 litres and bring to the boil for a couple of minutes before commencing hop boil.

5litre boil
10mins - 15g Citra & 15g Cascade
0min - 10g Citra & 10g Cascade

Allow to sit in ice bath for 20mins & then everything into the FV at 18 degrees

Day 10 Dry Hop with 15g Citra & 20g Cascade

Day 14 cold crash at 1 degree can add gelatin at this stage.

Day 16 Bottle

So I can use any kit with these types of grain, it improves flavour?

Thanks for the start guys. I cant believe how fermenting in a regulated fridge can make so much of a difference. My mate is punching out some real nice stuff as compared to my shed stuff. It loses that home brew taste almost completely.

Back