Steeping grains for Pilsner and lighter coloured beers. Carapils?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWDWD

Reaction score
I was planning on have another attempt at a Pilsner. After being scarred by lager yeast (my last pilsner failed) I've now decided that I'm going to make a "Pilsner/European Pale Lager inspired" Blonde Ale (I guess that's what it would be called) - as I'm having a lot of luck with US-05 at 18C

I want to keep the beer as light coloured as possible but also want to add that little bit of body and head retention that I've been getting from steeping approx 200g crystal grain for my pale ales and IPAs. Would 200/300g of steeped Carapils offer the same benefits as the medium crystal?

Here's my recipe idea (aiming for a Heineken/Stella euro lager for the girlfriend).

Pilsner Style Blonde Ale

3Kg Briess CBW Pilsen Light LME
300g Light DME
200G Carapils steeped

6litre Boil
Czech Saaz 30g 60 Mins
Czech Saaz 15g 10 Mins
Hallertauer 15g 10 Mins
Czech Saaz 15g 0 Mins
Hallertauer 15g 0 Mins

US-05 yeast
23L

Predicted:
OG 1.047
FG 1.012
IBU 23.8
EBC 7.3
%alc Bottle 4.8

200g carapils will give you great head retention and mouthfeel (I have 200g in a 25L batch now, the krausen is so thick and foamy!)

However, I do believe carapils calls for a mash... I mashed with 1kg ale malt and 300g mixed crystal malts.
Usually an AG guy but just did this one on the stove as I had some free kits.

carapils doesnt require mashing. Steeping is sufficient.

Are there other light colored alternatives or is carapils my best bet?

Latest posts

Back