Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just bought one of theses. I intend to wire it up my self. (pretty sure i haven't read anywhere on this post that it is illegal to wire your own 240 V).

My previous method of wiring things up (car stereos) is 100% vinyl tape. usually the yellow and green stripe stuff because thats what electricians use so if you use that it means your like an electrician.

Reading the recent spate of posts condemning the 'tape and hope' method, i wonder if anyone has a photo of what they think a well wired stc-1000 looks like.

Try this as an example link

Bear in mind this is for a Fridgemate, but I'd use a terminal block or Bluepoint (BP) connectors to join cable. Remember, if you don't feel comfortable or don't know what you're doing, get a licensed electrician to wire it for you.

Cheers

Thanks Nick that exactly what I was hoping for.
To show my gratitude i'm going to send you a bottle of my beer.

You are a gentleman and a scholar....or something ;)

:p

Reading the recent spate of posts condemning the 'tape and hope' method, i wonder if anyone has a photo of what they think a well wired stc-1000 looks like.
There are many pictures and examples here on the forums, including in this thread, mine might be housed in a lunch-box, but inside it uses the same terminals as linked in the picture above, if you browse this and the other theads here, you will find many good examples.

Have attached a diagram of how I wired mine up. I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to the ratings of the micro relays they use in the STC1000 - hence the inclusion of extrenal meatier relays. I also like to hear the solid click when it kicks in or out.

View attachment Fridge_Controller.pdf

Just to clarify, does this switch BOTH the heating side and the cooling side at the same time?
Or does it work just like the TempMate and will switch one or the other depending on if it needs to heat or cool to get to the desired temp?

Just to clarify, does this switch BOTH the heating side and the cooling side at the same time?
Or does it work just like the TempMate and will switch one or the other depending on if it needs to heat or cool to get to the desired temp?

its one or the other mate...

F1= Desired temp,
F2= +/- 0.3 temp variation, less than this it will cycle too often, more than this (IMO) is too much temp fluctuation
F3= 3 minutes. (Fridge compressor delay)
F4= 0, cant remember what this one was for but I dont need it.

Yob

F4 is adjustment should the thermo be inaccurate/out

its one or the other mate...

F1= Desired temp,
F2= +/- 0.3 temp variation, less than this it will cycle too often, more than this (IMO) is too much temp fluctuation
F3= 3 minutes. (Fridge compressor delay)
F4= 0, cant remember what this one was for but I dont need it.

Yob

So it will heat it when it's too cold, and cool when too warm? Or it will heat when too cold and turn off the heat when the temp's right?

I'm a bit confused as I thought it would work just like the temp mate where it would cool when too warm and then heat when too cold....

F4 is adjustment should the thermo be inaccurate/out

ahh, handy... I still dont think I need it though as I also have a little digital thermometer to read the ambient in the fridges, I notice that ambient may be up to about 3-4'c away from what the STC reads on the fermenters..

hmmm I havnt as yet put both sensors on the same fermenter to see that they equal the same..

toddles off to shed to do so, F4 may come in handy for me yet...

Cheers Nick

[edit] damn.. 2'c variation... now to determine which one is out... out with the sanitised thermometer to take a manual reading in both FV's.. shit..

Great little unit. I only use the cooling part of it. Works great for my keg fridge!

So it will heat it when it's too cold, and cool when too warm? Or it will heat when too cold and turn off the heat when the temp's right?

I'm a bit confused as I thought it would work just like the temp mate where it would cool when too warm and then heat when too cold....

F1= Desired temp,

It will heat when too cold AND cool when too hot.
It is wired up to have 2 outlets, heat and cool

Example:
set F1 to 18
set F2 to 1
Plug in heater to heat output
Plug in fridge to fridge output.

If temp less than 17 (18 - 1) it will turn on heater
If temp more then 19 (18 + 1) it will turn on fridge.

You don't need to have both plugged in if you don't want too.

And then you have 'happy little yeasties as munching, as munching can be. they all enjoy their sugars for breakfast lunch and tea.'

QldKev

F1= Desired temp,

It will heat when too cold AND cool when too hot.
It is wired up to have 2 outlets, heat and cool

Example:
set F1 to 18
set F2 to 1
Plug in heater to heat output
Plug in fridge to fridge output.

If temp less than 17 (18 - 1) it will turn on heater
If temp more then 19 (18 + 1) it will turn on fridge.

You don't need to have both plugged in if you don't want too.

And then you have 'happy little yeasties as munching, as munching can be. they all enjoy their sugars for breakfast lunch and tea.'

QldKev

Thank you for that. I was told different so just making sure :)

I've just bought one - so will have a decent gander through the wiring diagrams before hooking it up.
Cheers

Thank you for that. I was told different so just making sure :)

I've just bought one - so will have a decent gander through the wiring diagrams before hooking it up.
Cheers

And that's the point, most people are correct (for their device). Depends on how it is wired up doesn't it. Some wired for cooling only, some for heating only and some for both. Some got someone else to wire it for them and may not be aware of what the options are?
I wired mine for both and I think that makes it a useful device.

Slightly OT on the current question, but does anybody have instructions for this in English (not Engrish). I'm having difficulty with the instructions I have.

Thanks hoges,

It happen that the function of paper in PDF format I obtain at Internet anyways, however Engrish with function of paper may be with difficulty as understanded. :p

Cheers,

Goomba

Latest posts

Back