Starters brew!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexpanda

Reaction score
Hey guys, drop my first ever brews last Saturday, being a Mexican and dark ale, had some complications but going too bottle it Saturday and see how they turn out. Just wondering what everyone would suggest as an easy, great tasting, starters brew would be. As in what brand etc. Can, how much sugar/dextrose etc.

Alex

Alexpanda said:
Hey guys, drop my first ever brews last Saturday, being a Mexican and dark ale, had some complications but going too bottle it Saturday and see how they turn out. Just wondering what everyone would suggest as an easy, great tasting, starters brew would be. As in what brand etc. Can, how much sugar/dextrose etc.

Alex
Make sure it has finished fermenting before you bottle it!

It finished fermenting 2 days ago. So it's good haha. If you read my post called, airlock stopped bubbling you'll see all the details there :)

Check out Dr Smurtos Golden Ale, pretty sure there's a kits-n-bits recipe for it.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk.

stienberg said:
Check out Dr Smurtos Golden Ale
I wonder how many times that has been typed in all homebrew forums. If Dr Smurtos made a dollar every time some one recommended that beer, well, riches and all that.

Hey Mate,

I just got back into Homebrew after a few years away from the hobby, and after a few liquid worts, I gave the cans a go.

I recommend this recipe: https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/12408/

You can source almost everything from woolworths, coles or whatever - Just get :

1.7Kg Coopers Draught kit - about $12
1.0Kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 - about $8
200g Dextrose (optional) - Do this if you want it stronger, can be bought at coles or any HBS.
25g Cascade Hops (dry hop at Day 3) - Get these from the HBS
Fill to 21 Litres
Two packets of kit yeast or WAY better yet, one Safale US-05 - use the safale, I used 2 kits the last brew I did so can't compare, but if you need to get yeast, may as well get a decent $5 yeast from the HBS. Then again, if your just learning, just use the yeast that comes with the kit and buy another yeast off the shelf.

Brew at 18-20C

Put the cascade hops in once the airlock has stopped/almost ceased bubbling.. generally around a week or less (depending if you added the dex or not). If you source everything else at woolworths, you can postpone your trtip to the HBS by this time. Leave it in the bottle for 18-21 days at least once it's finished brewing. I've been drinking it since week 2, but it is much improved by week 3. Not a bad brew for about $30 outlay. Probably as good as some of the liquid worts I've tried from the HBS.

Hey mate
I brew 3.5% so I get the 500 grams of light booster from the HBS as well as 12gm galaxy tea bag that I steep in hot water and also steep 200gms of Lt crystal grains for 20 min and boil for 15min and add it all to a can of Australian pale ale
I get the Australian pale ale can from big W. Ferment for 2 to 3 weeks @ 18-20deg. Good session beer.
Cheers willo

Latest posts

Back