Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Evening all, I have been doing a little reading up and have invested in a lt of of starsan, sweet.. the war on bacteria is looking sweeter still..

Says to mix .5 oz (15ml) to about 5 liters. No probs, got the perfect thing with one of those coles 10lt water containers.

Question is how long will it keep in tap water, Ive read it wont last as long in tap water as distilled water... how long for each.. weeks? months? Couldnt pick up that bit of info.

Cheers
:icon_cheers:

ive also read... many times... to not fear the foam.. :beerbang:

I think it depends on what is in your water. I moved recently to a place with a different water source.
At the old place, the starsan solution would last a few weeks, at my new place it goes cloudy overnight. I would say the water at my new place tastes better and is of better quality.

Weird.

An indication that it's passed its useby is when it goes cloudy. I would invest in a small spray bottle and use more on an as needs basis. It will last ages if mixed up in smaller amounts (or buy some distilled water).

1.5ml/L. So for 5L it would be 7.5ml of Starsan.

I keep my mixed solution in a 20L pail. Usually make up around 10L the start of brew day for everything, I usually keg on brew day (something to do while im mashing). I leave it until I need it and usually lasts a few weeks 75% of the time. I also have a 2L spray bottle with the solution in it. Handy for quick sanitation.

Its great stuff, highly recommend it.

Don't fear the foam Comrade.

I'm not sure there is any specific answer for how long it keeps with tap water - mostly depends on the water and the like I presume.
However with distilled water it will keep indefinitely - as manticle said, when it goes cloudy (or the pH changes too much) its time to throw it.

Just purchased a 1l of starsan. Will be using it with distilled water as its pretty exxy stuff.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

i only use 7.5ml per 5 litres also. Just mix it up when your using it. Its so cheap its lasts forever. Whenever im kegging or getting cubes ready to no chill. Or fermenting i just mix 5 litres up in a spare fermenter,put some in a spray bottle and go about my brewing/kegging/fermenting ritual. When the day is over after cleanup or watever, i just tip it out.
safer that way.
I was a massive fan of Iodopher for 3 years or so and was so happy i didnt want to change,but after using starsan it takes the cake hands down. :beerbang:

You can get a few cheap syringes from a chemist or something to mix up smaller quantities, I have a 3ml syringe that is fantastic for the job, I was trying to be even cheaper but a 0.3ml syringe wouldn't suck the starsan up :(

a 1ml pipette i use, .75ml for 500ml of solution or 1.5ml for 1L of solution.

500ml is enough to sanitise a keg or a fermenter. All it requires is CONTACT. Not flooding of the whole vessel.

a little off topic, I dont get why some people find the need to clean a whole fermenter by filling the WHOLE thing with water/cleaner or sanitiser when all you need is enough cleaner to remove debris(tsp of nappisan with a kettle full of boiling water) to clean it along with enough to sanitiser to make contact to sanitise it. :blink:

a 1ml pipette i use, .75ml for 500ml of solution or 1.5ml for 1L of solution.

500ml is enough to sanitise a keg or a fermenter. All it requires is CONTACT. Not flooding of the whole vessel.

a little off topic, I dont get why some people find the need to clean a whole fermenter by filling the WHOLE thing with water/cleaner or sanitiser when all you need is enough cleaner to remove debris(tsp of nappisan with a kettle full of boiling water) to clean it along with enough to sanitiser to make contact to sanitise it. :blink:

Yes!!! The things you're trying to kill with StarSan (etc) are very, very small. Rodents and insects should be manually removed before attempting sanitation.

I bought a pack o' 50 plastic pipettes (Tuesday) for a little over $12 delivered. (I just need to drag my arse to the mailbox to see if they're here yet.) You can buy fewer for less from China, etc. I found that standard disposable syringes end up sticking and annoying me.

Yes!!! The things you're trying to kill with StarSan (etc) are very, very small. Rodents and insects should be manually removed before attempting sanitation.

I bought a pack o' 50 plastic pipettes (Tuesday) for a little over $12 delivered. (I just need to drag my arse to the mailbox to see if they're here yet.) You can buy fewer for less from China, etc. I found that standard disposable syringes end up sticking and annoying me.

Tell me about it! Once they get cleaned a few times it all goes to hell. there must be some kind of lubricant in the inner walls of the syringes and once that goes, well its like the story of the eskimo and the girls at a tupperware party, they are both out looking for a tight seal. :icon_cheers:

Yeah, my starsan has lasted me bonkers! I'm only close to 1/2 way through the 500ml bottle and looking at my craftbrewer shopping cart i got it april lastyear. It will last me a LOOONG while yet. The amount i use and how much i throw it at stuff seems incredible but am i wasteful... no. Heck i even make up a container of solution floating around when im santisng and cleaning just to dip my hands into after washing them every five minutes. overkill, i know. :rolleyes:

The joy about having a young child is that the baby nurofen/panadol comes with a little syringe. At least for the time being, I have a lovely surplus of syringes for my idophor or starsan measuring needs. (Yes, I use both - Idophor for bottles, Starsan for everything else... It's so I can tell the dietician wife that my beer is iodine enhanced)

The joy about having a young child is that the baby nurofen/panadol comes with a little syringe. At least for the time being, I have a lovely surplus of syringes for my idophor or starsan measuring needs. (Yes, I use both - Idophor for bottles, Starsan for everything else... It's so I can tell the dietician wife that my beer is iodine enhanced)

But... How can you be sure that panadol is food grade? :p

The only disturbing thing is how much panadol you are going through to have a surplus of syringes! :lol:

is there such a thing as overkill if you have peice of mind FS?
I'm probably a little OCD about it... but it makes me happy knowing its VERY clean and VERY sanitised..

Nope, not overkill i know but when im doing anything brewing related i feel like a surgeon prepping for surgery! After the dettol anti bacterial handwash the hands go into the air awaitng the nurse to put my scrubs on me! then they go for a quick swim in the starsan, ready for action. if im really lazy i'll just dip them into the jug before it goes into the fermenter. :lol:

mmm... skin cell beer! :icon_drool2:

I use the plastic syringe that came with my young blokes panadol, been using the same one for 3 years, only problem I'm having with it is the ml markings on the outside are wearing off

Latest posts

Back