Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 3ml syringe from the chemist. It died :( They seem to sieze up after a few mths. It was great though for my 2L sprayer.

I just now make up 5-10L and divide it up. The rest in the pail.

I bought the litre bottle from CB around Nov last year. Im not even 1/2 way through it.

Is there any problem with mixing in too much starsan? Last brew day I needed to make more and the writing has come off the bottle. Darned if I could remember the ratio so I used 5ml/500ml. :unsure:

The ratio is on the craftbrewer website in case you forget. And its probably not no-rinse at that concentration anymore, but who knows.

I had a 3ml syringe from the chemist. It died :( They seem to sieze up after a few mths.

I've found that starsan degrades some plastics over time - I've had several syringes and spray guns go like this.

I'd suggest flushing with water after using them.

Scalpel out and notch that bad boy... you wouldn't want to have to buy a new one!!
:unsure:

Dear god no, then I'll have another bottle of panadol to get through :p :lol:

Question is how long will it keep in tap water, Ive read it wont last as long in tap water as distilled water... how long for each.. weeks? months? Couldnt pick up that bit of info.

So glad you asked. I've wondered that myself

I don't think there is a definitive answer. I've made up batches (always with unfiltered rainwater) and found myself with lots left over. For reasons that need not be gone into here, I have put it in two bottles of the same kind and put one in the fridge and one just on the bench.

Of course, the refrigerated one kept for weeks and the one on the bench just for days. That could be temperature or it could be light. Dunno.

It does go cloudy when it is dying. Use that as your indicator and devise a protocol around that. When you get it wrong and have to throw out some unused solution, feel good that you're feeding a HBS owner... ;)

Of course, the refrigerated one kept for weeks and the one on the bench just for days. That could be temperature or it could be light. Dunno.

I've been doing a similar experiment, however I think the melbourne temperature may mean my test is just as inconclusive; I've had starsan made up in a spray bottle for the past 2 months (kept in a cupboard in my shed) and its still clear.

Silly mistake but I accidentally mixed my starsan at a rate of 5ml/2 litres water instead of the 5ml/3 litres recommended. I used the mix to sanitise the fermenter prior to filling with wort. Is this likely to affect flavour of the beer? The wort tastes fine but am a little concerned that it may appear in the beer later on.

Silly mistake but I accidentally mixed my starsan at a rate of 5ml/2 litres water instead of the 5ml/3 litres recommended. I used the mix to sanitise the fermenter prior to filling with wort. Is this likely to affect flavour of the beer? The wort tastes fine but am a little concerned that it may appear in the beer later on.

Will be absolutely fine...

I don't think there is a definitive answer. I've made up batches (always with unfiltered rainwater) and found myself with lots left over. For reasons that need not be gone into here, I have put it in two bottles of the same kind and put one in the fridge and one just on the bench.

It does go cloudy when it is dying. Use that as your indicator and devise a protocol around that. When you get it wrong and have to throw out some unused solution, feel good that you're feeding a HBS owner... ;)

I thought there is a definitive answer, and that answer is based around the pH content of the mixed solution?

Back