Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark - We have a few bottles left (in store only).
New stock arrives end Oct - Container is on its way.

cheers Ross

Yeah well hurry the boat up Ross! Guess the PBW is on the same slooooow boat?

Need to wash and sanitise bottles for the case swap. I guess you will need to do the same huh? ;)

Chap Chap

Need to wash and sanitise bottles for the case swap. I guess you will need to do the same huh? ;)

Chap Chap
so that explains those 'special' flavours in Qld beers. no ones cleaning their bottles!

Guys I have Starsan now but haven't used it yet. All the stuff I've read seen suggests that it's a no rinse but on the bottle it makes out like it's a poison and you'd have to wait until something has drip dried before using it.

Can you just spray it on and make sure the bulk has dripped out of the keg or fermenter or whatever? Can you still spray it on disconnects and hook them straight up? Bit of a pain if you have to wait until fully dry.

but on the bottle it makes out like it's a poison and you'd have to wait until something has drip dried before using it.

Does it?...
i sometimes leave a heap of it in the bottom of my kettle and Mash tun when i add the wort, not to mention clean my Beer glasses with it..
And never left it to dry..

And its never aFeCTed mE !!.. .
sQYrEEEEEEEEE... :icon_drool2:

BBR interviewed the guy who invented it a few years ago. I seem to remember he mentioned this and said they had to put the warnings on the pack due to the strict laws in the US but that it was no rinse.

I've been using Starsan as a no-rinse for my bottles and brew gear and sometimes there is a fair amount of residue present when I bottle or brew. However, after my last bottling session I did notice that after I emptied my bottle washer there was a slimey residue left in the bowl prior to rinsing it. The stuff definitely isn't odourless either, sniff the bottle.
I have used Hydrogen Peroxide for bottle sterilisation but was worried about oxidation so switched to starsan only. I think I will be rinsing with boiled water in the future if I continue to use it, just to be on the safe side. Hydrogen Peroxide may be better for bottling though, perhaps I have nothing to worry about as far as oxidation is concerned, not sure.

Does it?...
i sometimes leave a heap of it in the bottom of my kettle and Mash tun when i add the wort, not to mention clean my Beer glasses with it..
And never left it to dry..

And its never aFeCTed mE !!.. .
sQYrEEEEEEEEE... :icon_drool2:

As long as that's not really a picture of you in your avatar I think I'll trust ya!

As long as that's not really a picture of you in your avatar I think I'll trust ya!

ummmmm... :unsure: ... it is me in the Avatar actually.. <_<

Sqyre.jpg
Thats Batz's place in the background...with Baabra...

To quote Kamal's timeless question.. "Why are People so unkind?" :(

Sqyre. :p

Ha Classic!! Hes a sexy sexy man. really

Thanks Brad.. ;)

But back on Topic... I use Starsan on everthing.. I mix up 5ml in a 500ml spray bottle and just spray it everywhere..
It runs down the sides after tipping out the excess and pools down the bottom of the keg, cube, mashtun, whatever..
I also use it on my conections and leave it in siphoning hoses while they are not in use..

I reckon its top stuff!! :super:
Easy to mix and use and i've never had infection since i started using it about 2 years ago..
And its Awesome as a cleaner too, all that boilover residue that cakes on the side of your Kettle just spray it with diluted starsan wait 5 minutes and it will wipe off with your hand.

But make sure you dilute it right down.. its extremely concentrated. my 1 litre bottle is still half full after 2 years.

Sqyre.. :icon_cheers:

1.5ml/L is the recommended dosage

Cheers

1.5ml/L is the recommended dosage

Cheers

yeh i admit it.. i use too much.. :unsure:
The starsan ate the markings off the side of my measuring syringe so now i just use the sqeezy measure thing on the top of the bottle...

its pretty acurate like the "handfull of Hops" method... :ph34r:

Sqyre...

Been using it for a while now with no problems. The foam is the key. Give the vessel a good shake with reccommended rate of startsan & water and pour out. I have racked into many kegs and fermentors with plenty of foam in them and had no trouble with off flavours or yeast inactivity. Cheers

Back