Starsan Concentrate Shelf Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I've had my 500ml bottle of starsan for over 18 months now and I'm wondering when is it time to get a fresh bottle.
My solution is still clear after I dilute it and it froths when I shake it up but not like it used to. I just don't get the amount of foam I was getting when I first got it. Does this mean that it's getting old and I need to buy a fresh bottle?
Cheers

test a some at the standard dilution with a p/h strip and if under 3.5 it should still work.

test a some at the standard dilution with a p/h strip and if under 3.5 it should still work.

No worries, thanks, I'll get a test strip from somewhere.

There's only about 40-50ml left in the bottle so I'm tempted to get a fresh lot anyway.

There's a podcast from brewstrong on the subject of sanitising with the bloke from 5star if you're interested. They discuss shelf life and storage but for the life of me I can't remember any specifics other than keep it out of the sunlight.

No worries, thanks, I'll get a test strip from somewhere.

There's only about 40-50ml left in the bottle so I'm tempted to get a fresh lot anyway.

Wow, 450mls used in just over 18 months! I've had mine for the same amount of time and only used 150ml, and I brew about once a month.

Wow, 450mls used in just over 18 months! I've had mine for the same amount of time and only used 150ml, and I brew about once a month.

Yeah I am a bit wasteful but I was brewing every two weeks for 12 months or more.
I was going to use demineralised water so it lasts a little longer after dilution but it's not that expensive and goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back