Starch Test - Iodine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbly

Reaction score
Hi

Not having too much sucess in sourcing Iodine to use for conversion testing. Checked a number of chemist but all they seem to have is Bettadine (or similar)

I have some "Idorphore" that I use for my sanitiser can this be used to check for full conversio?

What do members use and wher do the source it from

Cheers

Wobbly

Assuming you have Iodophor, it works fine to do a starch test.

Ask your chemist for "tincture of iodine" it is much cheaper than Betadine and should come in a bottle with a dropper. Dilute 1:1 with distilled water (reduces the colour intensity so that you can see the colour test change easier). Always include some grist in your test sample - not just clear wort, and stir the iodine in well. This has the benefit of seeing what residual starch there might be in any course starch particles that have not fully hydrolysed and converted.

With experience, you can pick the difference in the colour change to show the difference between a dextrinous wort (mahogany colour) versus a highly fermentable wort (vitually no colour change)

Wes

Latest posts

Back