STAR SAN!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All,

Just started using Starsan and last night I bottled a batch using it to sanitize my bottles. I used 9ml for 6 litres of water, gave the bottles a wash and placed them on a bottle tree to dry.

While bottling there were a few drips here and there from the bottles but nothing major, I ran out of room near the end and placed a few filled bottles on the bench only for a short time. This morning I went into the kitchen to find these marks left from the bottles! You can only see them from a certain angle but now I know they are there I cannot stop noticing them.

I read that the undiluted starsan is not good for bench tops and what not but if it's diluted if should be OK, the bottles were dry from starsan but may have been wet from a bit of beer so I'm confused on what caused this.

Anyone else had any issues like this? I'm hoping it's some sort of water mark from moisture that may go away in time, not sure what type of bench it is but i'm guessing granite?

Cheers

20140216_200645_zpsd51604db.jpg

Depending on what your bench top is Phosphoric Acid may not have been the best thing for it.

Starsan and most acid based sanitisers are not a good product to leave on bench tops, left overnight they will "bleach" the colour out where they have been sitting. If you spill it on the bench top rinse well and dry off straight away. The bleached look may fade with time as it did on my bench top but don't count on it.

Thanks, as soon as I was done I wiped the bench down so nothing was left to sit overnight. I'm hoping it will fade with time as this is a rental I would hate to think what it costs to repair. :unsure:

Stone benchtops need a little bit of character. remember it is a natural substance and just because it's heavy doesn't mean it's indesctructable. Think of what happened as simple wear and tear. same could have happened from some hand soaps. Don't worry about it, if it were undiluted then it would have been 600 times worse!

Anyone ever had trouble spraying down the inside of their fermentation fridge / freezer with starsan?

lael said:
Anyone ever had trouble spraying down the inside of their fermentation fridge / freezer with starsan?
I spray starsan in my fermenting freezer before and after fermenting every batch and give it a wipe down

Opps, ment to buy starsan but got saniclean instead (same sort of bottle). Does it do the same thing?

cheers! - Thanks! Sorry - kevin - no idea. Starsan is worth it's weight in gold though. (ok... that's a small exaggeration ;) )

I read up on this a while back. They do pretty much the same thing, but Saniclean is low foaming...it needs longer contact time, and IIRC you have to use twice as much when diluting it. But if you use it right you'll sanitise just as well with it compared to Starsan. Out of interest, did it cost similar to Starsan?

Diluted Star san's had no ill effect on the inside of my fridge / freezer, unless your bacteria.

Concentrate on the outside paint job however.... that's stuffs acidic alright.

Latest posts

Back