Star San Container Tip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ne fearez vous pas le foam

For some reason a normal PET coopers lid ended upon my Starsan Bottle - any PET bottle cap will fit. Re the Whitelabs "vials" when they make PET bottles they start their lives as a "blank" with a standard screw thread moulded in - the blanks are the little thingos in the foreground of the photo.

PET_Bottles.jpg

These blanks are then heated and "blown" to produce various shapes and sizes, which is why all PETs have the same opening and lid. Whitelabs just use blanks to provide a super heavy duty "vial". Your piece of trivia for the day brought to you by BribieG.

Another one with lids cracked down the sides not long after I got it. Good idea about the pet caps; I've been careful making sure it always sits up perfect, but the new cpas sounds easy.

QldKev

Two cracked lids here too. Never thought of trying a PET lid, will install tonight ;)

Amazing, read this thread yesterday and thought "gee im lucky mine haven't cracked yet"...well needless to say mine cracked this morning...PET lids on it now :)

As usual, you're all full of crap :p I've been using mine for 3 years now and the lids havent cracked, so it must be all of your fault! ;)

Amazing, read this thread yesterday and thought "gee im lucky mine haven't cracked yet"...well needless to say mine cracked this morning...PET lids on it now :)

Your not a real brewer until ya starsan lids crack!

QldKev

Must remember to be rougher with my Starsan lid. :unsure:
My tip is to drip a minute amount of Starsan down the side of the bottle as soon as possible, thus erasing all printed information on said bottle.

I wrote "1.5ml/L" on the side in black permanent marker thus making *all* the writing on the bottle redundant ;)

You jinxed me mine cracked today. Had always leaked but kept the bottle up right now got the pet lid on it

Chalk up 2 cracked lids here too. Happened after about 3 or 4 uses.
Funny thing was the first one that cracked was the one on the main bottle, not the little small one. Never opened it but it cracked anyway around the top of the lid. Swapped the lids but buggered the other when screwing it on. :huh:
Ended up gluing both back together with liberal amounts of epoxy but I have swapped them with PET now. :icon_cheers:

No cracked lids for me, but i have gone through 3/4 of a bottle in 6 months. The bottle tipped over with the lids firmly on one brew day and leaked 1/2 the bottle before I realised what was happening.
So +1 for a bad seal. Will try the PET lids.

Gregor

+1 on lid issues, not broken but leaky on the measurement side

Had mine leaking when I opened the package after purchase. It seemed to be cross threaded. Have to admit they are shit caps for transportation. :beerbang:

Don't fear the foam. DEFINITELY don't rinse the foam out, that voids the whole purpose of using a no rinse sanitiser

Seems a lot of cracked lids here!! Imagine what StarSan is doing to your gut (albeit little-by-little) if you dont rinse.

No rinse sanitiser......blah, blah, blah
Gf

Is it time for a "Show us your Starsan Lid's" thread? It's been a while since i've seen one of those! :ph34r:

Onya Incider..

Been pissn me to tears for a while ....

SOOOO Bloody simple

Seems a lot of cracked lids here!! Imagine what StarSan is doing to your gut (albeit little-by-little) if you dont rinse.

Gf

About the same as that halal meat is doing to your gut. Nothing.

another lid crack here to. I've been the threaded sides of the broken lid to hold glad wrap in place (over the opening) since. Can't believe I haven't tried other lids before :rolleyes:

Gf
Probably about the same as a litre of coke... seriously though unless you're downing shots of it straight, its a tiny amount of diluted starsan diluted even more in an amount of beer. link

Latest posts

Back