Star San Container Tip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my large bottle of Star San since 2005, had it sent from Grape and Granary in the USA, before it was being distributed here and only used about 1/20th of the bottle, I re-use the mix over and over till it goes cloudy or I can see congealed-floaties in it!

Never had a problem with the lids.

I have had cracked lids too, coke to the rescue....

blah blah blah

Add me to the list of broken caps. No sun, no dropping, no harsh tightening. Yet both caps cracked.

the only blowout ive had so far is on the small reservoir lid, happened about 3 months ago after having the bottle for close to two years. Good strike record me thinks but strange to have a lid crack on a bottle. a first in my experiences.

At least its not as shoddy as Auto Glym applicator nozzles on their paint sealant product. A 35$ bottle of sealant slipped out of my hand, landed on the arse of the bottle and the applicator shot out like a rocket. Next thing i knew the bottle was on its side and 3/4 dispensed all over the concrete.

+1

I'm on my third big bottle of star san and all have cracked, stored upright in the cupboard.
I've been swapping them out with PET lids whenever they crack.

My lids have cracked and been replaced with white lids also and I have 1.5 mls written on the side just in case I forget

I also go thru a lot of syringes if I do not wash them out properly but we will leave that for the show us your used syringe thread <_<

Lids cracked here as well.. replaced with PET caps long ago. Great tip!

Lids cracked here as well.. replaced with PET caps long ago. Great tip!

Yep, good tip - just replaced mine as well :icon_cheers:

Onya Incider..

Been pissn me to tears for a while ....

SOOOO Bloody simple

I had already rinsed a new receptacle for the Star San because of the broken lids and was cursing how long the SS had been exposed to a wee bit of air - would the the SS becompromised? Would I have to buy two bottles this lifetime? And the replacement bottle was PET....EUREKA!

Thanks for the thankyous - you guys have all given me shedloads of tips, so I owe you guys.

And now that I've done my only brewing post for 2011, I'll go back to sniping Case Swap threads and never posting about beer or brewing - just sheep and 'thingys'.

InCider.

Isn't it funny how the smallest fix is overlooked!
Cheers, going to put a PET lid on mine which cracked months ago too...

Lol! I did the exact same thing. Only problem was that the next time I used the bottle I dripped some on the "1.5ml/L" that I had written and it came off too!
Must remember to be rougher with my Starsan lid. :unsure:
My tip is to drip a minute amount of Starsan down the side of the bottle as soon as possible, thus erasing all printed information on said bottle.

I wrote "1.5ml/L" on the side in black permanent marker thus making *all* the writing on the bottle redundant ;)

Jesus, boofreakinhoo schooey. Try paying $35 a throw to replace a fuel cap on a Stihl brushcutter that HASN'T been dropped off a shelf, but has been very carefully and gently closed to JUST seal fuel in, but still fails within a few months anyway!
Look after your stuff and make sure it can't fall off a shelf, ya bloody mug!

5Star should be damned proud of their product, it works, it's cheaper than chips, and failing some hamfisted dropkick getting involved, works without ANY complaint.

Rightio then... :unsure:

Someone can't read or didn't want to...

Jesus, boofreakinhoo schooey. Try paying $35 a throw to replace a fuel cap on a Stihl brushcutter that HASN'T been dropped off a shelf, but has been very carefully and gently closed to JUST seal fuel in, but still fails within a few months anyway!

5Star should be damned proud of their product, it works, it's cheaper than chips, and failing some hamfisted dropkick getting involved, works without ANY complaint.

Really? The 25 or so breweres above might disagree.

Noone has knocked the product just what appears to be some average packaging. :icon_cheers:

Don't fear the foam. DEFINITELY don't rinse the foam out, that voids the whole purpose of using a no rinse sanitiser
The only caveat is that you need to get the concentration of startstan right for it to be no-rinse or it can impart as taste. Since I never measure properly - I rinse with boiled water. Iodopher is advertised as a no rinse sanitiser - but I would also suggest rinsing this one out. Just my 2 cents.

I hope you had a good day today. It appears yesterday wasn't a real good one.

Same experience here with 3 bottles and therefore 6 lids. I've gone through way too much of this stuff as I'm too lazy to measure and or I'm usually panicking and need something sanitised fast and whack too much in. I'm measuring now.

I had thought about bringing this up on the forum but it just would have been a whinge as I didn't have the brilliant PET lid idea.

It is a fantastic product though.

Good advice nude nut. Now get back to the sillyness straight away.

The only caveat is that you need to get the concentration of startstan right for it to be no-rinse or it can impart as taste. Since I never measure properly - I rinse with boiled water. Iodopher is advertised as a no rinse sanitiser - but I would also suggest rinsing this one out. Just my 2 cents.

As I said before....no rinse sanitiser....blah, blah, blah.
Gf

Same experience here with 3 bottles and therefore 6 lids. I've gone through way too much of this stuff as I'm too lazy to measure and or I'm usually panicking and need something sanitised fast and whack too much in. I'm measuring now.

I had thought about bringing this up on the forum but it just would have been a whinge as I didn't have the brilliant PET lid idea.

It is a fantastic product though.

Good advice nude nut. Now get back to the sillyness straight away.

Sorry Henno for this thread. Please accept this photo from today as penance.

IMG_1143.JPG

Latest posts

Back