Star San Container Tip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InCider

Swap Whore
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

Many of you no-rinse your sanitation, and many use Star San. A reliable performer and fantastic value.

I have had only one issue, and that has been the lids. They cracked on me today, and I thought for a minute
I'd have to decant from the bottle. Now I'm no Incredible Hulk, but maybe they'd perished over time.

DSCF6433.JPG

Anyway, the solution is... Coke Bottle lids! :D Nice seal etc. PET Beer bottle lids may work too.

DSCF6442.JPG

I've never stored my Star San in the sun, nor even in light, but this solves it for me, hope it helps you.

InCider.

Note: Before any pedant says that there are no coke bottle lids pictured, they are from Mount Franklin water bottles, part of Coca Cola Amatil :p

The last bottle I bought came in the post with the lids sticky taped up like it was going on the space shuttle; I guess that should have been enough warning.... Anyways, as you do, opened it up, used about a tenth of the bottle and came home one day to find that something had bumped it off the shelf in the garage and it had landed on the floor and all of the contents bar about a thimble fool had congealed into a lovely smelly mess on the floor.

:angry:

Great product, but the packing f#$king sucks arse!

Exact same thing happened here too, used a PET lid from the pile.. Happy days :D

The last bottle I bought came in the post with the lids sticky taped up like it was going on the space shuttle; I guess that should have been enough warning....

Lids are taped up for postage to avoid a spill from the lids coming loose during transit, we do it to all products that could spill - nothing to do with caps breaking.
First feedback I've had on lids failing, though with falling off a shelf & the lid cracking it seems a little harsh to blame the product.

I'll be giving feedback to Five Star though.

cheers Ross

Me too. Just did the cap up one day and the center of the cap just popped out.

Mines a good 3 years or more old now and never had an issue. Interesting. 'Coke' bottle lids are great. They fit PET beer bottles also. I have a heap of them. All tge Coles brand soft drink caps fit perfectly also.

Add me to the list of broken caps. No sun, no dropping, no harsh tightening. Yet both caps cracked.

Yep, one of the caps on my Starsan cracked about a year or more ago... Never thought of replacing with a Coke lid - thanks Incider, have replaced today! B)

I've found that the lids don't seal so well, had the bottle laying down whilst I was moving house and it leaked throughout my brew bits container. I probably lost an Oz. so no major drama but it would be great if 5* did look in to their product packaging.

Yep the lids on my bottle cracked pretty early also. Mine stored in a cupboard so they don't hit the floor.

Friend of mine had the lid on one side of his crack. Mine is going fine though.

Issue with star san that I have been wondering at is the foam, particularly when I am washing bottles I end up with a lot of foam left in them. How do most of you counter this? I have been rinsing it out, but do most people just leave it?

Lids are taped up for postage to avoid a spill from the lids coming loose during transit, we do it to all products that could spill - nothing to do with caps breaking.
First feedback I've had on lids failing, though with falling off a shelf & the lid cracking it seems a little harsh to blame the product.

I'll be giving feedback to Five Star though.

cheers Ross

Understand what you're saying, Ross, but I wasn't having a crack at you or anything Craftbrewer.... As others have said, my lids never sealed that well; even when new and done up tight you could squeeze the bottle and get air through the seal. This is why I assumed they were taped. It wasn't as if the 1 foot fall to the floor was a devastating crash; the lid was still on and unsplit, it just leaked out past the cap seal.

Like I said, great product, just a shit container

Both my lids perished this year (about 2-3yrs old). Coke lids to the rescue, but already one of them has cracked as well!

Have had the lids go on me too.

The lids off the white labs vials are a perfect fit as well. :icon_cheers:

Watch out with spillage of neat starsan, I had mine with cracked lids leak during a moving hous, even after diuble bagging it in large zip lock bags. It took some paint off my co2 reg.

On my second bottle of starsan. Lids on both bottles failed in the couple of uses. Just use PET bottle caps to replace now, no issues.

+1 on lid issues, not broken but leaky on the measurement side

Issue with star san that I have been wondering at is the foam, particularly when I am washing bottles I end up with a lot of foam left in them. How do most of you counter this? I have been rinsing it out, but do most people just leave it?
Don't fear the foam. DEFINITELY don't rinse the foam out, that voids the whole purpose of using a no rinse sanitiser

+1 to the above

If you can't dig the foam, switch to Saniclean for sanitation.

Just think that if you have the bottle upside-down, and it has all drained except for a little foam in the neck of the bottle, it is a little barrier of death for any enterprising microbes that might spoil your beer.

If you don't like the foam you could switch to Iodophor. Trouble is it makes glass bottles slippery as hell they can easily slip out of your fingers.
nothing is perfect for everybody :icon_cheers:

Back