stainless growler not keeping cool?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lost at sea

Reaction score
gday all,

today i went into my LHBS to see if he had any of the 2lt stainless fliptop growlers ive seen around on the net, wanting to take beer to bbqs without taking ice and eskies seems like a perfect situation as i have a few pubs around my area that fill growlers.
i decided to check what he had first before getting one online, to keep the locals in business blah blah,

i specifically asked for the double walled type for reasons mentioned above, and was assured it was, sweet heres your
$35. get home and straight away decided to check its temp holding abilities....

filled with almost 2 ltrs of chilled water from the fridge.

1500hrs - 6.3 degs

1720hrs - 15.4 degs

1750hrs - 16.7 degs

1820hrs - 17.5 degs

i had left it on the dining table and temp inside the house was by no means hot, prob 25-27 degs.

so what the eff? why such a massive temp jump in only 2-3 hours? not was i was wanting at all...its like its not insulated internally at all.
it looks exactly like all the ones online claiming to hold temps for 12 hours ect.

im thinking the guys doesnt have the double insulated ones when he thinks he does?

so before i head back tomorrow to hopefully get something sorted out, what does everyone else get for a temp hold with your growlers? most reviews online says it should stay within a few degrees for several hours?

keen to hear your thoughts or reviews?

cheeeeer

Should be prety simple to check it yours is double walled or not.

Fill it up, tap the side... does it feel like there is air or water on the other side of the part you tapped?

The other way would be with hot or cold water:
hold onto the outside of the growler.
Fill with hot or cold water
how long does it take for you to feel the water temp?
If it a single walled, it should be almost instant. Double walled, it will take a little bit of time to heat the air, then the outer wall.

Suspect its just like the cheap stainless double- walled/ evacuated thermos flask from major chain stores- just take it back and exchange it until you get one that performs satisfactorily. I did this and my $12 thermos worked beautifully for years, but it took two swaps before I jagged a good one.
If they're argumentative then simply demand a refund, as you would be entitled. Obviously this is trickier for on line shoppers, but theoretically possible I suppose...

thanks for the replies. i did notice when i filled it with chilled water that it got condensation on the outside after less than a minute.
now ive emptied it, it does feel pretty light for a "double walled" growler. but without ever seeing one before i guess i was none the wiser.

the others in the LHBS all looked identical so id say they are all crappy. ill just get a refund and order one online.

anyone got a brand/store that holds temp well? kegking ect?

Totally happy with my KegKing one. One of the best products I've bought from them. I tried it with some hot wort the other day. It was still lukewarm three days later. I've kept beer refreshingly cold for a hot four-hour car ride. So yeah, I'd recommend them. Totally bummed I traded that second one away!!!

Mardoo said:
Totally happy with my KegKing one. One of the best products I've bought from them. I tried it with some hot wort the other day. It was still lukewarm three days later. I've kept beer refreshingly cold for a hot four-hour car ride. So yeah, I'd recommend them. Totally bummed I traded that second one away!!!
Ive a spare if you want it.. I can move my Glycerine out of it ;)

Happy Birthday

Mardoo said:
thanks ill give one a try and see if it works better (no doubt it will)

well the LHBS guy took it back, gave my money back no problems and said thanks for the feedback and he will check what his supplier has given him.
cant complain about that.

will just order one online now.

just to follow up on my thread. my new kegking growler arrived today, so i copied the chilled water test that i did on the original "fake" stainless growler.

so far the temp has risen 0.7 degs over 4 hours. mission accomplished!

+1 for the kegking growler from me.

Prechilling, ie fill with ice water to cool the airspace, empty then fill with beer will also help keep the temp down. The reverse also makes a big difference to your thermos. I only ever pack mine for a day at work after filling it twice.

By which I mean my thermos for hot drinks etc. Not a growler of home brew.

That'd be the problem, no weak piss, a growler of 7% IPA and work are not the best mix.

Latest posts

Back