Stainless Conicals.....who Is Selling Them Locally

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard_M

Reaction score
I am looking for a stainless conical.
THIS ITEM MUST BE MADE OF AISI 304, 316, or 316l STAINLESS STEEL (no cheap shit from China).
Who has one or knows who is selling them? Yes I know I can get one from the USA but if there is one here already that is owing someone money then I am interested.
Cheers
Gerard

Yes saw them, but they are not pressure tested & there is no pics of the internal welds. So that means NO.
Cheers
Gerard

Send Ross at CB and email, I'm sure he would be more than willing to send you detailed photos.

Why do you want it to be pressure tested? You don't really need a pressure vessel for fermentation considering you want the gas produced to escape anyway.

Pok

Send Ross at CB and email, I'm sure he would be more than willing to send you detailed photos.

Why do you want it to be pressure tested? You don't really need a pressure vessel for fermentation considering you want the gas produced to escape anyway.

Pok

Saving CO2 gas is pretty standard practice, and this vessel will need to be compliant with AS1210. Ideally the unit I am after will be able to be CIP'ed too.
Cheers
Gerard

Gerard do you want to ferment, dump the yeast cake and then condition & carb in the one fermenter?

CIP = Clean in place. Basically pump some hot caustic around through a spray ball.

I am thinking of upgrading my current yeast keg, & it could get used to ferment a few pilot brews too. I will spend a few days looking around the net for ideas then I will sign up to do a welding course. I have seen enough crap welding to know what good welding should look like.

Cheers
Gerard

Have you seen the ones Grain and Grape have? Pretty good range and if I remember correctly they are reputable brand.

Won't need to be pressure tested for this purpose.

OK just quickly. They will at times be operating with somewhere between 1-2bar in pressure.
For a pilot brew, lets say it is an ale. Turn off the valve that is connected so the blow off tube at about 1.016. Let it finish fermenting down to 1.011-10 & you will normally be holding about 1.5 bar. Roll it into the coolroom (I will put this thing on wheels) & get it nice & cold. The CO2 will be absorbed & your beer will be carbonated.

For my yeast starters I use Oxygen to push the starter into the FV, so once again it needs to be able to hold pressure.

Cheers
Gerard

T.D- I am seriously considering the welding course, or a road trip to Warrnambool where everybody knows how to weld.

Have you seen the ones Grain and Grape have? Pretty good range and if I remember correctly they are reputable brand.

Yeah they look OK, but can they hold pressure?
cheers
Gerard

ibrew sell the Blichmann range which I'm pretty sure are pressure rated.

Thanks Devo, I recall seeing these earlier. I think Old Bugman has one. The tr-clover fittings will match this up with the existing kit perfectly
Cheers
Gerard

...... Turn off the valve that is connected so the blow off tube at about 1.016. Let it finish fermenting down to 1.011-10 & you will normally be holding about 1.5 bar. Roll it into the coolroom (I will put this thing on wheels) & get it nice & cold. The CO2 will be absorbed & your beer will be carbonated.....

Just curious, does building the pressure up like that hurt the yeast ? All this talk you hear of pressure being bad for the yeast, though I know spunding works. And with the 1.5bar of pressure, is there a chart somewhere that tells you how many vols of CO2 that puts into your beer.

Regards your 'pressure vessel', with your fairly unique set of requirements it could be best to go custom, don't think too many off the shelf conicals are going to come with a CIP spray ball. If you added it afterwards you'd be violating the AS1210 code wouldn't you ? I haven't had a lot to do with the pressure code, we did look into it once as a piece of equipment we were making had the potential to go bang in a big way and thus needed to cope with the pressure. As a 'one off' use like that it wasn't all that expensive to get it hydrostatically proof tested (with water) and voila, you comply with AS1210. For a continuous use item, might be a little more involved. I think there's something in the code about being less than a certain pressure, means it's not classified as a pressure vessel, thought this was ~2bar, could be worth investigating.
The road to pressure vessel certification is not one I'd be that keen on walking on if you could avoid it.

Just curious, does building the pressure up like that hurt the yeast ? All this talk you hear of pressure being bad for the yeast, though I know spunding works. And with the 1.5bar of pressure, is there a chart somewhere that tells you how many vols of CO2 that puts into your beer.

Isn't this just the same as bottling Mika?

Sorry for any off-topicness Gerard.

Regards your 'pressure vessel', with your fairly unique set of requirements it could be best to go custom, don't think too many off the shelf conicals are going to come with a CIP spray ball. If you added it afterwards you'd be violating the AS1210 code wouldn't you ? I haven't had a lot to do with the pressure code, we did look into it once as a piece of equipment we were making had the potential to go bang in a big way and thus needed to cope with the pressure. As a 'one off' use like that it wasn't all that expensive to get it hydrostatically proof tested (with water) and voila, you comply with AS1210. For a continuous use item, might be a little more involved. I think there's something in the code about being less than a certain pressure, means it's not classified as a pressure vessel, thought this was ~2bar, could be worth investigating.
The road to pressure vessel certification is not one I'd be that keen on walking on if you could avoid it.

I have just been through a 12 months of so-so equipment & getting vessels tested & re-tested.You are correct about the under 2 bar part. Not sure exactly but there is a bit of room. CIP would be a bonus, but I have just been looking at one that would be easy to clean, or the spray ball could be removable.
Search is over. AHB works again!
Cheers
Gerard

Isn't this just the same as bottling Mika?

Sorry for any off-topicness Gerard.

No probs. Both alcohol & CO2 can effect the yeast as they try to get their work done (sound familiar?)At that stage of fermentation there will be enough yeast to get the job done, so it is not an issue. CO2 levels can be inexact due to variables such as temp, amount of CO2 pressure etc, so it is a bit of a suck it & see deal. Give it a touch up if required. For me it worked & the results were worth the effort
Cheers
Gerard

I think White Labs have a high pressure yeast now available. I know Dave's HBS @ North Sydney were getting some in.

Gerard

Perhaps Perfab , no endorsement but I know that they supplied the 100 hec fv's into AIB and can pass the relevant coding.

I'd say due to the wine activity in the Hutner there would be more than one shop that could help up that way.

Scotty

Latest posts

Back