Stainless Conicals.....who Is Selling Them Locally

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 46lt for $980 looks awesome. Probably a little tight to do 40 litre batches in though

Gerard,

Just out of curiousity what did you settle on? Was it the Blichmann fermenter from ibrew or something else?

sap.

Gerard,

Just out of curiousity what did you settle on? Was it the Blichmann fermenter from ibrew or something else?

sap.

SAP
I have some gear to clear out & the funds raised will be put towards a Blichmann. Dome top about 50 litres give or take a few. I have enough tri-clover fittings to fit it to our existing kit. Now I just have to break the news to the boss!
Cheers
Gerard

Just curious, does building the pressure up like that hurt the yeast ? All this talk you hear of pressure being bad for the yeast, though I know spunding works. And with the 1.5bar of pressure, is there a chart somewhere that tells you how many vols of CO2 that puts into your beer.

Regards your 'pressure vessel', with your fairly unique set of requirements it could be best to go custom, don't think too many off the shelf conicals are going to come with a CIP spray ball. If you added it afterwards you'd be violating the AS1210 code wouldn't you ? I haven't had a lot to do with the pressure code, we did look into it once as a piece of equipment we were making had the potential to go bang in a big way and thus needed to cope with the pressure. As a 'one off' use like that it wasn't all that expensive to get it hydrostatically proof tested (with water) and voila, you comply with AS1210. For a continuous use item, might be a little more involved. I think there's something in the code about being less than a certain pressure, means it's not classified as a pressure vessel, thought this was ~2bar, could be worth investigating.
The road to pressure vessel certification is not one I'd be that keen on walking on if you could avoid it.

Andyg1,
Nor sure if you were asking the question again or if you were going to add your own commentary?

In relation to answering the question originally posed by mika, I initially had identical concerns as I was mindful that for some styles of beers, people believe open fermenters are the best option.
The way I would look at it is as follows:
Most of the fermentation would be done with a standard airlock, providing you with the same pressure that most people ferment under.
Once the the fermentation is 85-90% completed, you replace the airlock with a valve that provides you with the appropriate pressure and you have beeer that is carbonated by the end of the process. Fermentation is reasonably slow for the last part of the fermentation and a majority of the work would have already been completed before the yeast is subjected to greater pressure and I am sure it wouldn't impact the flavor profile much at that stage.
Having a pressurized vessel with a valve on from the outset is something I wouldn't try since there is a chance if the fermentation kicks off in a big way and you don't have enough headspace that your valve gets clogged up. That could make for an interesting experience.

Cheers

Roller

Latest posts

Back