St peters ruby red ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wereprawn

Reaction score
Been looking for an AG recipe for with no success. Anyone made a decent clone that they would care to share the recipe for? One of my favorite beers but at $8 a 500 ml bottle, it's way to expensive to buy many for my limited beer budget.

Thanks dicko. I'll try fourstars red ale , as suggested in the link , and tweak. Bloody elusive recipe for such a nice beer.

Cheers.

Search Pillar of Red ale.

Start with that basic grain bill to give the colour and change the hop bill to suit what your looking for

Okay. Went with Stu's Pillar of Red, contrary to what i said earlier. Bloody top drop. Been on tap for 3 days now. Will need quite a bit of tweaking to emulate a SPRRA though. At least i have somewhere to start and an excellent beer on tap. Thanks Stu. Will report back on future attempts for those wanting to clone the Ruby Red.

Oh and should say i followed Stu,s recipe to the letter except i used M-07 British Ale.

Edit- Did not turn out red. Have a hunch it may have something to do with my water chemistry. Just got a water analysis copy from the council so will look into it.

Cheers.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Ruby Red used Cascade and EKG hops, not 100% sure but it's a great beer that I'd like to try and clone myself. I might have to start doing some research, gives me an excuse to buy some anyway.

I had a look over on Jim's homebrew forum in the UK and found this.Not sure of source or accuracy but I suspect it is from one of the books floating around on UK beers.
Obviously gives you a fair scope on the Crystal but I think using something like CaraRed or Caraaroma would go well. Or you could mix it up between those and some dark crystal.
St. Peters Ruby Red Ale
St. Peters Brewery - Bungay, Suffolk, UK
Category: Bitter
ABV: 4.3%
IBU: ≈22
Grainbill: 92.5% Pale, 5% Crystal Malt, 2.5% Chocolate Malt
Bittering Hops: Challenger (90 min)
Aroma Hops: Styrian/Savinjski Goldings, Cascade

Reviving this thread to see if anyone's come close to a clone in recent times. Had a few more attempts in the last couple of years but just can't seem to get close.

Latest posts

Back