St Pats Order

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
npt fittings taps and dies to suit are all available here brenton so know worries.

Excellent!

This 'hobby' is getting expensive. I just cant resist the shiny things.

Just received an email back from St Pats.

Seems that they wont ship to hotels in the US and wont allow me to pay for the order and ship it anywhere else but my own address.

I have sent an email to morebeer.com to see what their policies are :(

big d said:
so if ive read your post correctly hoops i can purchase goods to the equivalent of 250 usa dollars.which comes to about but not accurately 500 aust dollars
NO that's not quite right Dave.
Assume 5% Duty and 10% GST.
1. Take your order value and change it to AUD
2. Take your postage and change to AUD
3. Multiply order value by .05 (5% duty) VALUE 1
4. Add order value + Duty + postage then multiply by .1 (10% GST) VALUE 2
5. Add value 1 + value 2 and if they exceed $50 then by the book you are supposed to pay that fee. If under $50 they don't collect.

Also check out this thread and customs website or give them a call on 1300 363 263

Hoops

As I have had many Q's about import taxes I have made an excel spreadsheet to calculate it.

Damn it it won't let me attatch an excel spreadsheet??

F@$# F@$# F@$#

Got a reply back from St Pats
Looks like Justin was right about the postage part.
I did a rough calculation on postage through UPS and......
our order was U$477.75 and my rough calcs for postage are U$379!!!!!
St Pats only use UPS for shipping and UPS do not offer surface mail.

Looks like that plans out the window
Sorry guys

F@$# St Pats!

BUGGER

:angry: :( :angry:

You can try one of the other American mail order sites. Some that spring to mind,
Northern Brewer, Paddock Wood, Stout Billy's. Have never bought anything from these companies, but their catalogues look pretty good.

Get straight onto morebeer.com.

The prices are almost the same and they have the same items.

I am ordering about $400US from them but a friend is picking it up in the US for me :)

That is bloody ridiculus Hoops.... they are rogues!

Will have a look at morebeer et al to see whether they have similar stuff available.

dreamboat

OK
they have emailed me an actual quote for mail and my very rough calculations were a bit out. I must have OVERESTIMATED the size/weight.
They have quoted U$193.50 postage with delivery time around 1 week.

This would put everyones orders at around:
John - $410
Me - $315
Batz - $200
Dreamboat - $86
Ken - $83
(this is in Ozzy dollars splitting postage by value of stuff ordered)
I have made up a spread sheet of costs if any of you want me to email it to you.

Hoops

Hoops

It would be good if we got a comparison from More Beer....

I appreciate your efforts in sorting all this out.

Thanks

I am looking to place an order with morebeer and get it shipped as it would be too much hassle to get my friend to bring all this gear back into the country :(

Anyway, it is about $65AUD postage via USPS for 4-6 week delivery time.

The total order will be around the $680AUD mark. Now I assume that as this is under $1000AUD it should not attract duty or GST.

Anyone got any comments?

BrentonSpear said:
The total order will be around the $680AUD mark. Now I assume that as this is under $1000AUD it should not attract duty or GST.

Anyone got any comments?
Brenton
No that's wrong.
Reread this thread in particular 10 posts above this one.
$1000 is for formal declarations not import tax (duty & GST)
Hoops

I just received my 12 inch SS false bottom from Morebeer this arvo - not bad considering they posted it to my brother who onforwarded it to me from Texas on the 18th.

Total cost was US$20 for the false bottom and about US$25 total for postage, ie US$45.

And for those of you who are wondering why my brother got involved, it was ordered in August, on backorder. It was meant to go into a 10Gal Rubbermaid my brother picked up for me at the local shopping mall, (US$50!) but we got sick of waiting and he posted the cooler to me - sure enough, the false bottom arrived on his doorstep the following morning...Shite!

Anybody wanna go halves in a shipping container of gear that we can sell here with a flat 10% markup - we'd make a killing for sure!!

Lucious Lynne at St. Pats sucks - er figuratively speaking that is!!

Cheers,
TL (Happy to have a brother working in Texas!!)

Trough Lolly said:
Anybody wanna go halves in a shipping container of gear that we can sell here with a flat 10% markup - we'd make a killing for sure!!
Now your talking TL!
Seriously does anyone know how much a shipping container would cost?
Hoops

My brother and I did do a little bit of research into the container - apart from the shipping fees and duty payable (about $10K all up) you need to factor that cost into the unit costs and unfortunately, it doesn't come out too good when you add your own profit margin.
The trick is fitting as much as you can in the container and making sure that every bit of the containers inventory is sold - which is probably not a problem for the larger HBS's in Oz but for you and I that means a lot of legwork and there are legalities associated with re-selling imported goods... :wacko:
Cheers,
TL

I bought a keg system - my mates thought it was fantastic, if not excessive. SWMBO thought it was fine - something to save some time wrt bottling.

I got some more stuff - CFWC, temp controllers - mates start to get excited about all the free beer they'll get. Furrowed brow starts to appear on forehead of SWMBO, as she worries if I've turned into a raving alcoholic.

I needed more kegs to keep up with brewing, and to provide myself with some variety - mates all shook their heads, but all the same, came around to drink more frequently. SWMBO starts asking questions about how much this "hobby" is costing, and where it will all stop (I cleverly avoided answering this one).

I ordered a refractometer thru Batz - mates will think I'm stark raving when I tell them, not sure how SWMBO will react. I comfort myself in the fact that it's my discretionary fund that's paying for it, so I don't really HAVE to justify it.

So, I'm thinking. If I was to casually slip into conversation, with either said mates or SWMBO, that I was contemplating going in on A SHIPPING CONTAINER full of goods, for the sole purpose of brewing, they would back away very cautiously, ring a helpline, and then freeze discretionary funding (probably in that order), all with a smile on their faces, and sweat forming on the brow.

That a group of guys can go from K&K (well, most of us anyway), to ordering in and/or making shiny stainless things, to considering a shipping container... you're all mad. If it's workable though, I'm in (imagine the conicals...)!

ant said:
So, I'm thinking. If I was to casually slip into conversation, with either said mates or SWMBO, that I was contemplating going in on A SHIPPING CONTAINER full of goods, for the sole purpose of brewing, they would back away very cautiously, ring a helpline, and then freeze discretionary funding (probably in that order), all with a smile on their faces, and sweat forming on the brow.
I would so much love to go in on a container and get a Morebeer brew system.
Alas with another child on the way I won't be getting one of those for a few more years :(

But geez I love the idea of an AHB container.

Doc

Hoops,

I did some calcs using the info in your post and it seems even $300AUD worth of stuff with $65 of postage will attract a duty & GST if I bring it in via standard mail.

Postage = $65
$300 x 0.05 = $15 (Value 1)
$300 + 65 + 15 = $380 x 0.1 = $38 (Value 2)

$15 + $38 = $53

Is this right?? Maybe this only applies if you bring it in via courier (UPS).

I have brought in gear via USPS before totalling about $700 including postage and not had any problems. The prices were clearly displayed on the package.

Latest posts

Back