Ss Mesh Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea for one reason. I have some cuts in my bag from stupid things I did and the rim of my keggle.

If I was going to do this I would ditch the Silicon and just use stainless wire to sew it all together. Or I would find someone that could weld it all together.

Glue has the nasty habit of letting go when you need it most and never letting go when you need it too. One reason why solder or braising is not as good as welding.

I also would fins something besides the wood for the rim. I think the wet, heat, and gunk will take its toll.

Not to say the bag is bad. The bag is good. A stainless bag will last almost forever.

The range of temps etc is all within specs for the silicon. Only time will tell I guess.

Re the wooden top it is only a temporary arrangement. I have a sheet of 10mm plastic (chopping board purchased in China for $3) which will take it's place when it shits.

Hi guys, Just another update from my 2nd brew using this.

Brewed a Kolsch

90% Pils
5% Munich
5% Wheat

Worked out my volumes and did a lot better. Still room for improvement though (Actually undershot it a bit).

Efficiency details are;

Efficiency into boiler: 80%
Brewhouse efficiency: 75%
Efficiency into fermenter: 70%

So pretty good I thought?? By the way, what is the efficiency most people quote when they talk efficiency?

I guess I should also mention the grains were crushed by the HBS so not specifically for BIAB in mind
& I also have not looked into mash PH yet.

Next up a Dunkel.

Cheers, Mat.

Nice work matr, those are great efficiency figures. Is that for straight up BIAB or are you giving it a bit of a sparge of some sort? Either way - good.

People use all the different efficiency figures, which is ampain in the rear. Essentially, you cant take any notice of the figures people quote unless they specify (as you did) which they are talking about, its just meaningless otherwise. FWIW, the majority of brewing recipe books, the magazines like BYO and Zymurgy, podcast shows like the Jamil Show etc - all (I am pretty sure) use efficiency into the kettle.

Nice work with the stainless jiggerator - i strongly suspect that you will gain a bunch of imitators over the next little while. I might well be one of them.

TB

Thanks TB.

Just hoisted & drained. No Sparge. No mash out either.

Thanks for the info on the efficiencies makes a lot of sense now why people bitch & whinge & argue about how to calculate it.. :icon_cheers:

Cheers, Mat.

Hi guys, Just another update from my 2nd brew using this.

Brewed a Kolsch

90% Pils
5% Munich
5% Wheat

Worked out my volumes and did a lot better. Still room for improvement though (Actually undershot it a bit).

Efficiency details are;

Efficiency into boiler: 80%
Brewhouse efficiency: 75%
Efficiency into fermenter: 70%

So pretty good I thought?? By the way, what is the efficiency most people quote when they talk efficiency?

I guess I should also mention the grains were crushed by the HBS so not specifically for BIAB in mind
& I also have not looked into mash PH yet.

Next up a Dunkel.

Cheers, Mat.
Respectable figures, I usually quote brewhouse and recipes as % of total grain bill as this makes it easy to share recipes with others.
GB

just asked them for a quote on the wire... :icon_cheers:

So I threw up a picture of a SS mesh bag I have made in another thread and had some interest.
DSC03129.jpg

DSC03130.jpg

DSC03131.jpg

Just wondering how the silicon and mesh bag is holding up?

I made a SS mesh bag for the brewbot on the weekend. Much smaller scale. Instead of silicon I got some 316 stainless steel wire and stitched it together. I haven't used it yet, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. My backup option was silver soldering the thing together.

I think I might make another one for our full volume setup and ditch the swiss voile.

Turned out pretty cheap too. (Excuse the brain dead units)

24"x24" 316 stainless mesh, 0.029" holes - $9
Stainless Steel 316 Wire, Precision Ground, Straightened (Vacuum-Arc Remelt), 0.026" Diameter, 60" Length (Pack of 5) - $1.70
12"x12" 316 stainless sheet - $12
Free shipping on orders over $25 - priceless :)

SANY0012.JPG

SANY0013.JPG

SANY0010.JPG

(full size images on the blog http://zizzle-brewbot.blogspot.com/2011/02...ot-and-bag.html )

I made a SS mesh bag for the brewbot on the weekend. Much smaller scale. Instead of silicon I got some 316 stainless steel wire and stitched it together. I haven't used it yet, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. My backup option was silver soldering the thing together.

I think I might make another one for our full volume setup and ditch the swiss voile.

Turned out pretty cheap too. (Excuse the brain dead units)

24"x24" 316 stainless mesh, 0.029" holes - $9
Stainless Steel 316 Wire, Precision Ground, Straightened (Vacuum-Arc Remelt), 0.026" Diameter, 60" Length (Pack of 5) - $1.70
12"x12" 316 stainless sheet - $12
Free shipping on orders over $25 - priceless :)

SANY0012.JPG

SANY0013.JPG

SANY0010.JPG

(full size images on the blog http://zizzle-brewbot.blogspot.com/2011/02...ot-and-bag.html )
Nice work Zizzle.

Where did you get the mesh from?

With making s/s mesh BIAB bags I was thinking it could be good to use solid sides, and mesh bottom. This would allow the mash not to have the full volume of water and you could lift the bag and dump sparge water into it. The solid sides would ensure the water would have to travel down through the grain and not out over the floor.

bag1.GIF

QldKev

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CTYN6U

I got it when it was on special for half that price.

it says does not ship outside of USA, did you have to contact them before purchase to arrange the shipping? because this looks really cheap as i am planing on making a stainless mesh BIAB out of an old stainless crab basket i have sourced that fits perfectly in my urn.

this is the first step in my automated BIAB plans, next is installing the pump to recirculate the mash and clear the wort via it passing through the grain bed ala Braumeister.

Last edited by a moderator:

this is what Ive done Kev. only not as sexy as posted above, Ive got a 19lt (bigw) pot into which I fit a smaller pot (coles) with holes drilled through the bottom,(PITA) the only thing that worries me is that it is'nt quite as tight a fit as Id like, probably 10-15mm but certainly makes sparging an easy task, ive got a fridge shelf I use and sit the pot on to sparge.

the only improvement I can see would be a tighter fitting pot.

:icon_cheers:

will post a pic later

Hasn't failed yet after 5 batches. Largest Grain bill was about 5kg. so about 8.5kgs total.

What has impressed me more is the MDF I used at the top. Hasn't even looked like swelling or deteriorating.

My mesh has a 0.012" aperture so you won't be able to use your wire to sew it together. (FYI Voile is about 0.008")
The smaller the aperture the more cost.

Cheers, Mat.

With making s/s mesh BIAB bags I was thinking it could be good to use solid sides, and mesh bottom. This would allow the mash not to have the full volume of water and you could lift the bag and dump sparge water into it. The solid sides would ensure the water would have to travel down through the grain and not out over the floor.

That's why I made the base conical. It works great. All the liquor drains from the centre of the bag.

Cheers, Mat.

it says does not ship outside of USA, did you have to contact them before purchase to arrange the shipping? because this looks really cheap as i am planing on making a stainless mesh BIAB out of an old stainless crab basket i have sourced that fits perfectly in my urn.

this is the first step in my automated BIAB plans, next is installing the pump to recirculate the mash and clear the wort via it passing through the grain bed ala Braumeister.
@ Sydneybrewer and Zizzle,

you guys might like to see what I've done with my Braumeister/BIAB inspired automated rig. It is run by a BrewTroller and some vid and details on my blog site:
Braubushka video
Some basic notes on BrauBushka

Yeah I'm currently in the US so that is why.

Be sure to keep us posted with your automation project.

Hasn't failed yet after 5 batches. Largest Grain bill was about 5kg. so about 8.5kgs total.

My mesh has a 0.012" aperture so you won't be able to use your wire to sew it together. (FYI Voile is about 0.008")
The smaller the aperture the more cost.

Just go with smaller wire then.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Coil...729&sr=8-14

@ Sydneybrewer and Zizzle,

you guys might like to see what I've done with my Braumeister/BIAB inspired automated rig. It is run by a BrewTroller and some vid and details on my blog site:
Braubushka video
Some basic notes on BrauBushka

Arnie great stuff, you're a legend, and your work has inspired parts of both my 'bots.

Interesting that we are both going through "simplification" phases now.

I'm currently a few days away from a competition deadline. So taking a few shortcuts just to get it working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back