Srew Cap Glass Bottles & Bench Capper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quachy

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers, I was wondering if the benchcappers are able to cap screw crowns as well as pry-off ones? If so do I need different crwons or can I use the coopers ones? Mate of mine is having a bbq soon and I want to collect all his glass stubbies so if bench cappers can only do pry-off, then I will subtly mention that pry-off would be really great! I have an Automatica bench capper.

Quachy

PS - Got some fellas at work buying homebrew kits tonight! Starting a bit of a homebrew revolution down at Bacchus Marsh!

i use the screw tops as most of my bottles and have no problems with them sealing

i use the screw tops as most of my bottles and have no problems with them sealing

So does that mean I can use the capper and coopers crowns on screw top bottles?

Sorry for the ignorance here!

Quachy

yeah mate go for it sorry had a few tonight so im a little vague. im using the same capper and do both bottles types with out changing anything. the only time i change is for the champagne bottles

Hello fellow homebrewers, I was wondering if the benchcappers are able to cap screw crowns as well as pry-off ones? If so do I need different crwons or can I use the coopers ones? Mate of mine is having a bbq soon and I want to collect all his glass stubbies so if bench cappers can only do pry-off, then I will subtly mention that pry-off would be really great! I have an Automatica bench capper.

Quachy

PS - Got some fellas at work buying homebrew kits tonight! Starting a bit of a homebrew revolution down at Bacchus Marsh!

No problems mate. Have the same benchcapper and it does both types really well.
Hey, good news on getting the mates into it eh. I wish I knew more blokes around here into it.

Only new to this myself

But my first batch, which I have just started drinking, had both the old style (Coopers) and twist tops, both sealed fine using the Coopers crown caps and both kept the carbonation in.

Not sure if you can twist them off though, as I just use a bottle opener for both.

Does anyone just use the homebrand crownies from woolies?

I was wondering if the benchcappers are able to cap screw crowns as well as pry-off ones? If so do I need different crwons or can I use the coopers ones?

Hello

You certainly can use that combination. In fact you can take an American made Bottle, a Italian bottle caper and an Australian crown seal and they work fine. I think beer bottle/crown seal standards must be one of the few universal ones :D . With twist tops they tend not to seal as tight as most people want/expect but as the bottle builds up pressure it pushes cap up into a dome shape which makes the rim (for want of a better word) bite onto the bottle harder making a tighter seal.

Hope that helps! If you want to know more just pm me.

Rurik

I use my bench capper for both types of bottles but find that I get the odd screw top not sealing real well. Make sure that the cap is straight and there is no sugar sitting on the rim of the bottle, both of these things cause a bad seal. When you invert the bottle to mix in your priming sugar, listen carefully, if its not sealed you can hear some gas escaping.

With twist tops they tend not to seal as tight as most people want/expect but as the bottle builds up pressure it pushes cap up into a dome shape which makes the rim (for want of a better word) bite onto the bottle harder making a tighter seal.

This is also really useful as a guide to carbonation levels. If they "dome up" a lot within the first week, over a long period of time you may get gushers or even bottle bombs. At the same time, if they don't "dome up" very much after at least a month, chances are you'll have a low carbonation level.
As a rough guide, I have found that the centrte of the caps on beers that have mid to high carbonation levels (similar to commercials) will "dome up" just past the level of the rim after about two weeks so that you can easily feel the "dome" shape with your fingers (remembering that the capper has depressed the centre just slightly below the rim).
Jono.

when i bottled thats pretty much all i used and never had a problem good seal with bench capper and regular coopers bottle tops

I have a SuperAutomatica as well. I use whatever beer bottles that I buy or what my mates leave at my place, these could be twist tops or crown tops. I use whichever caps are most convienient, it just depends on which HBS or supermarket I visit when I need to buy them.

I have never had a problem with the bottles sealing correctly. The twist tops will open like a normal twist top.

:icon_cheers:
EK

I think I must have gotten a dodgey bench capper. Although I can cap screw tops, it's really quite difficult. Takes a lot of force, and I have twist the bottle around and have several goes at different angles to get it on. I haven't a clue what brand it is though.

EDIT: no problem with pry-off seals though, they're easy peasy!

The only real problem ive had (with my superautomatica) is that with twist tops, sometimes once theyre capped, theyre hard to get out of the capper itself. I kind of have to yank them at an angle to get them out. Does anyone else have this 'problem'?

Thats about all i think

Yeah I have to do the same thing. Have to hold the bottle down and pull quite forcefully up on the capper handle to get it off. My capper is an old garage sale acquisition though - no idea of it's brand or life - may be time to get a new bell thingy??

I also sometimes need to twist and seal again like chemacky - not every one though.

Cheers,

microbe

I've just come back from a trip to Mackay and my uncle who has been brewing for ever, I think Noah delivered his first kit, and he reuses old screw caps. Doesn't use a capper just a half of a squash ball for a good grip to retighten them. I had a couple of tallies and they were awesome. Two months old, the head was unbelievable, if only I had the patience.

Cheers.

My cappers pretty old now but when it was newer I would need to twist the bottles out of its grip every now and then but it was never a forceful operation. Now its not a problem at all

My only worry with the screw top long necks is that they don't seem as heavy walled as the crown seal bottles.

cheers

grant

Back