Spunding Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May sound stupid but are all you guys that are fermenting in kegs, are they 50 litre kegs? Assuming you would have to reduce the volume to ferment in a standard corny key?
I'm going to make 16L in a 19L corny use fermcap to keep krausen down . Thought I had a 23L but checked and its only 19L . Not too fussy on volume.

I wonder if you could add a T-piece between the disconnect and the adjuster with a collection bottle attached,you could slowly unscrew it to release the pressure and catch the krausen.Or a hose from the T-piece to a carb cap then a bottle.

I'm going to make 16L in a 19L corny use fermcap to keep krausen down . Thought I had a 23L but checked and its only 19L . Not too fussy on volume.
This is what I'm doing. My current batch size fills 2 x 16.5l cubes which seem to be a pretty good size for fermenting in a standard corny.

This is what I'm doing. My current batch size fills 2 x 16.5l cubes which seem to be a pretty good size for fermenting in a standard corny.
I talked to my local UBREW and they do 50L split in to 3 corny, so 16.5L each . Thats what lead me down this path to start with .

I talked to my local UBREW and they do 50L split in to 3 corny, so 16.5L each . Thats what lead me down this path to start with .
They ferment in cornys? I seem to remember big plastic fermenters lined with plastic bags.

I just brewed a 40L batch in a 45L mutton rod keg will not overflow issuse etc

Wouldn't it stop your gauge working.

It would. The whole idea is that the valve is one way and to protect the gauge, it's the "wrong" way for letting anything into it, ergo the gauge would have nothing to measure.

They ferment in cornys? I seem to remember big plastic fermenters lined with plastic bags.
No sorry they dont ferment in cornys. I think they use 60L fermenters ? Then fill 3 x cornys for pick up . But when he said 16L per corny I thought 3L headspace . Wasn't long after that I heard about fermenting under pressure and bing go . Reduce brew volume save abit cash , ferment with pressure quicker process. Winning.

I have pressure fermented my first batch. One weird thing is that (the first keg at least) the keg seems to be maintaining pressure even after pulling a few pints. Is there a reason that a pressure fermented brew would do this as opposed to fully carbing with c02 and having to add c02 as you empty the keg? or is just that the beer might have been over-carbed to start with? come to think of it, it was pretty foamy to start with..

No chill in the corny , someone at the start talked about doing it any feedback ?
I’ve pressure fermented a golden ale in a 26L keg recently - just dumped boiling wort straight into the keg, clamped it, inverted for 10 minutes, then let it cool and pitched the next day. I equalised pressure a few times as it cooled. Worked a treat!

the 2 that I have are in oF but are attached

Attachments

• Carbonation_Volumes_Pressure_Temperature_Chart.pdf
    192.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Carb Chart.jpg
    Carb Chart.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 93

Latest posts

Back