Spunding Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well first impressions of the spunding valves is a bit dissapointing . One works like a charm but the other one with no end of fidling trying to set it right its an epic fail .May have to look at the more reliable US option

I agree with the advice above to lube the spring at the BACK of the poppet, not the front of the poppet.

To me it feels like friction on this interface is what's causing the inconsistent adjusment. Getting too much lube in there can cause it to stick, which happened to me last brew.

Also, my adjustment screw wobbles a little in the thread, which also causes issues for me. A little thread tape seems to solve this issue, but it's a pain in the arse to have to do every time.

Offends me less than your grammar mate [emoji8]
Fair enough I deserved that sorry Nosco keep ya Avatar
It just
No I'll drop it
I have been knocking out a couple of nice Kolsch's with the pressure ferment lately
Maybe drinking too many & posting as well
I am only using the spunding valve from Amozon but havent tried lubing the K&K one
Since pressure fermenting I havent done a ferment in the plastic fermenter since
& the turnaround is a lot quicker
It is one of the more profound improvements to my beers as big as temp control for me

I agree with the advice above to lube the spring at the BACK of the poppet, not the front of the poppet.

To me it feels like friction on this interface is what's causing the inconsistent adjusment. Getting too much lube in there can cause it to stick, which happened to me last brew.

Also, my adjustment screw wobbles a little in the thread, which also causes issues for me. A little thread tape seems to solve this issue, but it's a pain in the arse to have to do every time.
e

yeah my one that plays up the screw wobbles also didnt think to try some thread tape on that. Good idea . Got it sitting nicely at 11 psi atm more by fluke I think

Out of interest I got the KK unit to work fairly well. I removed the adjuster, spring and gas seal stopper and keg lubed the inside thread of the unit, ends of the spring and the thread on the adjuster which made adjusting very smooth.
To set the unit, say I want 10psi. Put co2 at 13/14 psi into a PET bottle using a carbonation cap, connect the unit in closed position then slowly open until hiss heard, back off a bit and your close to spot on, which the gauge will indicate.

Yep, I find it's easier with the kk spundings to after O2 and yeast pitch/seal up, I pressure up to 15 psi and and click on spunding and wind out very slowly with my ear right next to the outlet hears a slight hiss and then leave. It seems to settle in at 10-13 psi which is perfect.

The carb cap and pet bottle trick sounds great , will try that next brews.

I also opened up the spunding and gave the spring/poppet a slight spray with olive oil cooking spray, it seems to be lighter than oring lube and more sensitive and I had it in the kitchen. Plus protects the spring from corrosion.

Cheers

Ive only tried to use mine twice but Ive just figured out theres a crack in the brass T peice. No wonder it wasnt working.

I don't have any issues with mine. used thread tape on it and set it to the right pressure by hooking it up with gas before using it.

Quite a few have said they're OK, and quite a few have said they're rubbish.

I think the point here is that these units are highly variable in quality. Depending on machining tolerances, the wobble within the thread/housing will be better/worse in some rather than others.

I'm in the rubbish camp, mostly because of the wobble. I've tried the PET trick to set the gauge, and it's still variable as all hell as soon as you bump it.

Pitched the yeast around 4pm yesterday and the pressure is building nicely already. I'm already liking this setup a lot better than the pre-built ones.

IMG_6619.jpg

I’m about to pitch yeast on a 45l batch of Lager & hooking up the Spunding valve for the first time set to 12psi. My usual fermenting procedure is using a Sanke fermenting kit from Brewers Hardware with an airlock attached to the blow off port. I’m sticking with my usual ferment, diacetyl rest followed by cold crashing & lagering . The only concern I have after fermentation is the transfer to a 50l serving keg. Normally I would transfer via the fermenting kit using around 5-10psi. I’m a little worried about how much foam I might get from the pressure ferment to the unpressurized receiving keg.

Crusty, pressure transfer it, place ferment keg on a bench, receiving keg on the floor, co2 both to the same pressure, connect liquid to liquid, gas to gas, pull PRV on receiving before connecting to it's gas post, once flow has started connect attach the gas. Beer remains under pressure and shouldn't foam.

Cheers but I don’t have any way of pressure transfer to the second keg, both 50l. I’d have to get another keg coupler to do that.

Latest posts

Back