Sprite In The Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealtb

Reaction score
I was speaking to a mate today, who has a mate who swears by adding Sprite 1L or so into the brew after a week... can;t be lemonade has to be sprite... any ideas why and what it would do?

I was looking at the ingredients label on a can of Sprite today, as you do. Carbonated water, sugar, food acids, 'flavour'.
Take your pick! Im figuring the sugar ferments in 10 seconds flat leaving you with food acid and flavour and some CO2 to suppress fermentation???
I felt bad drinking a can of it, let alone tipping it into precious beer!

I was looking at the ingredients label on a can of Sprite today, as you do. Carbonated water, sugar, food acids, 'flavour'.
Take your pick! Im figuring the sugar ferments in 10 seconds flat leaving you with food acid and flavour and some CO2 to suppress fermentation???
I felt bad drinking a can of it, let alone tipping it into precious beer!

I dunno eh, can't hurt can it really... I might try it down the track..

Just kegged up Mangrove Jacks Classic Blonde Dry 2 days ago and drank some tonight....

BEST beer I have ever drunk, it was all gooey and creamy, (2weeks lagering in the back of the fridge)

This is gonna be my primary beer i brew from now on...

I've had "shandy" being beer and sprite/lemonade mixed at the pub years ago.
It's a half beer/half soft drink kind of refresher.

maybe your mate is making something similar?
As pointed out by hsb the sugar will ferment out so he won't get the shandy sweetness but maybe he likes the "twist of lemon" in there.

Whatever you enjoy drinking, that's what you want to brew :D

Bjorn

Brew the beer first.
Add the sprite to one glass ala shandy.
Hand it to your wife
Pour a beer for yourself.....

Have you tried your mate's beer to see what he's on about?

Sounds pointless, stupid and horrible to me.

Sugar ,Flavouring that's all it is..unless the lemon or the sugar makes the difference..to each his own... :rolleyes:

Sounds pointless, stupid and horrible to me.
Same, but I assume that the sugar would bump up the alch % and for some people making HB is just all about getting drunk, so sprite-in-beer would do that quicker. Sure it might be horrible, but you'd have to drink less of it to get off your face and not notice it. :)

There hasn't been a " i want to add chilli to my beer" thread in a while :D

You're adding all that water as well, so if alcohol is what you're after then sprite isn't the most economical option :p

It's 110g of sugar per 1L AFAIK.

Guy guys guys, and ladies if there are any out there in homebrew land. I am not caring about alcohol, or anything like that. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of doing this? This guy swears by it, but yeh It would definately add some alcomahol into the mix. and maybe a bit of flavouring, I dunno I will try it next time and see what it is like.

Its not got nothing to do with a shandy... let me get that clearzo..

Old morons with leather tongues swear by all kinds of stupid stuff in their brew. In fact, they are usually the whackos giving homebrew a bad name. The foul taste of their hot fermented K+K probably masks their multitude of sins...

Old morons with leather tongues swear by all kinds of stupid stuff in their brew. In fact, they are usually the whackos giving homebrew a bad name. The foul taste of their hot fermented K+K probably masks their multitude of sins...

The mating call of the HB snob.

unrealTB.

Make a brew, throw a bottle of sprite in there, then you'll know.

It's only beer, a bottle of sprite in your brew isn't going to turn your underwear carnivorous.

Give it a crack and let us know

BF

I had a mate who had a mate who reckoned your mate's mate hadn't got a clue what he was talking about.

Question is, was my mate's mate wrong or was your mate's mate right?

:icon_offtopic:

I like Gatorade, the mix it up cordial type powder.

I am thinking dump some in my next brew and, as if magic, a 'sports beer' !!!

Sports beer! Its gotta be great! been running, thirsty? need hydrating? SPORTS BEER!

**** it, I am gonna try it.

Back