Splitting yeast for 5L batches?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesco

Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of advice and wondering if anyone has any tips for economically splitting yeast packs for use in small 5L batches. I've read a few posts about spliting yeast packs but as I'm doing a smaller batch's I'm getting confused about what size I should split the yeast into.

What would be the best way to say split a Wyeast activator pack for use in 5L batches? Should I split it into 4/30 ml vials. Would that give me enough to pitch a vial directly or will I have to make a starter regardless? If I do have to make a starter does this mean I could split one activator into even smaller vials?

Cheers,
Jamesco

What gravity is the 5lt of wort & what's the production date on your Wyeast pack.

I haven't bought the yeast yet, but will pick some up from my LHBS this week. The reason I ask is I'm going to buy some vials from proscitech and just unsure which size vials I should buy and which is going to make my life easier for 5l batches. The gravity of the wort would be 1.051.

Cheers

Jamesco said:
I haven't bought the yeast yet, but will pick some up from my LHBS this week. The reason I ask is I'm going to buy some vials from proscitech and just unsure which size vials I should buy and which is going to make my life easier for 5l batches. The gravity of the wort would be 1.051.

Cheers
A while back I bought the 30ml sterile sample tubes from ProsiTech, LS22-30.
Good size for the Wyeast packs. I smack the inner pouch, let it swell for a few hours & pour into 4 sanitised vials which will give you around 25 billion cells in each. I end up with a trickle left over that I just chuck out
According to YeastCalc, 5 lt of wort (1.051) requires 47 billion cells so unless you use 2 of your split vials ( 50 billion ) you would need to do a starter. I would still do a starter regardless. A 500ml starter with 55gms DME ( 1.040 ) & 1 vial of 25 billion cells to your starter, 24hrs on the stir plate will get you 87 billion cells to pitch. A nice healthy amount for your 5lt of wort. This was based on a May 27th production date.

Back