Spent Grain As Animal Feed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard that anything that has an "energy" component can be used for "stock feed" once it has been contaminated in some way by mould or other form.

I bought some "stock feed" Dextrose about 5 years ago and it still worked well in brew pack beers back then.

You need to talk to Uni graduate on the subject, because "stock feed" rated stuff is very open to interpretation, also protein content of the grain is to be considered!

Anything "that hits the ground" during "bulk" loading for transport in sugar, grain, etc. is classified as "stock feed", so there is bargains to be had out there!

I have no idea really but cows do have more stomachs than horses, and really it's a bit like drinking really; all in moderation and you don't feel ill the next day.

I remember speaking with the brewer at Grand Ridge.

They use all of their spent grain on the owners/local cattle and then serve them up at the restaurant.

Yummm.

Fine for cattle - NOT for horses or goats...

Cheers Ross

We give our spent grain to a local cattle property - they rush the fence when they see the trailer coming up the drive!

A local did take small volumes of spent grain to 'help get some condition' into his sick horse. From all accounts it worked, but it was only the odd 20kg bucket here and there, not the full 300kg batch. I certainly hope it didn't hurt it!

Shawn.

We give our spent grain to a local cattle property - they rush the fence when they see the trailer coming up the drive!

A local did take small volumes of spent grain to 'help get some condition' into his sick horse. From all accounts it worked, but it was only the odd 20kg bucket here and there, not the full 300kg batch. I certainly hope it didn't hurt it!

Shawn.

Anyone have cattle in the Brisbane City area? :p

Plenty of old cows. :D

Brisbane city would have the highest ratios of fat cows, especially in the Gum-Mint. They are proliferate breeders too!
B)

Seriously a mate of mine has a farm at Laidley and works every day in Acacia Ridge if you are giving stuff away.

It was my goat that died from eating grain. Apparently it was cause he ate too much too quick. He ate about 6-7kg in about 5mins.
I now feed it to the cattle but 6-7kg spread around the paddock stops one animal gorging itself. It seems to put a good sheen on their coats.

Cheers
Chris

Do not give horses spent grain..it gives them colic

Stu,

What are you basing this on ??????

I have been giving the grain to the horses for years and have never had a horse go down with colic ever

Rook

I have a sample of 'fancy' dry dog food in the cupboard at home that looks like muesli. Among oats and other things.. it contains cracked barley, calcium carbonate and brewer's yeast. The instructions say to mix it up with water the night before you feed it to your dog so that the yeast begins to ferment it all a little.

Sounds very interesting. I was pondering what the calcium carbonate was supposed to be in there for, and was wondered if they make it up from the left overs from some brewery's mash and it's just in there when they get it. As mentioned, the food is dried so I guess they could dry all the grain out all out before mixing with the other ingredients and packaging. There's only about half a dozens ingredients listed anyway.

Back