Spent Grain - And That Awful Awful Smell!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
I recall reading a post a while back on someone inadvertantly leaving their spent grain in the mash tun for a week resulting in vomit inducing smells when the Tun was opened. :icon_vomit:

We here in Adelaide are experiencing some decent heat - circa 38 - 40 most of this week.

Previous batches of my spent grain have been thrown into the garden, however since the local cats have been attacking the birds that enjoy snacking on this grain.... I have been informed by SWMBO that grains are now to be disposed of in the bin...

So if you are near Parkside and something is on the nose, its probably my spent grain!

Bring on bin day Wed! :lol:

Not looking for alternative suggestions, just venting on the smell! It really is not pleasant at all!

Yep, I left some in a bucket for about 3 months. The smell didn't just make me want to vomit, it WAS vomit.

Yeah it turns bad real quick. I just turn mine into the compost bins.
I made the bins 1 metre cubes so they take a lot of stuff.

Plus the bins are down on the back fence next to the neighbours shed :p

I recall reading a post a while back on someone inadvertantly leaving their spent grain in the mash tun for a week resulting in vomit inducing smells when the Tun was opened. :icon_vomit:

We here in Adelaide are experiencing some decent heat - circa 38 - 40 most of this week.

Previous batches of my spent grain have been thrown into the garden, however since the local cats have been attacking the birds that enjoy snacking on this grain.... I have been informed by SWMBO that grains are now to be disposed of in the bin...

So if you are near Parkside and something is on the nose, its probably my spent grain!

Bring on bin day Wed! :lol:

Not looking for alternative suggestions, just venting on the smell! It really is not pleasant at all!
yup i left a pile of spent grain on in the garden and hadnt gotten around to doing anything with it (ie mulching etc). after a while i came outside and there was a god awful stench. it was the grain. it was ferral. now that we moved out of the rental we are mulching again and spend grain goes straight into the compost bin. no mucking around.

I brewed on Saturday, worked Sunday and on getting home around 11pm remembered that I still had a baby bath with the BIAB bag (full) and the hopsock still sitting there. On opening the garage door it smelled exactly like ten tomcats had pissed all over the garage. I dug it into the compost, soaked the bags in sodium percarbonate and ran them through the washing machine, came out sweet as usual. Sorry to disappoint Darren on that last point.

I left a bag full in a 20L plastic bucket with the lid on for 24hours in the back of my 4wd, that was enough :icon_vomit:

QldKev

I put my 3 week old spent grain (didn't have the energy to do it after I finished brewing so it sat in the mash tun for that long) in the rubbish bins in the basement at the hotel I live and work at...bad idea. The stench made its way from the basement all the way up to the 7th floor - a few very unhappy campers.

Another funny thing is...I have the mashtun full again in my apartment stinking up to throw down in the garbage again...going to have to do it at like 3am just before the garbage men come so it doesn't stink up the hotel again...

Cheers
Phil

I put my 3 week old spent grain (didn't have the energy to do it after I finished brewing so it sat in the mash tun for that long) in the rubbish bins in the basement at the hotel I live and work at...bad idea. The stench made its way from the basement all the way up to the 7th floor - a few very unhappy campers.

Another funny thing is...I have the mashtun full again in my apartment stinking up to throw down in the garbage again...going to have to do it at like 3am just before the garbage men come so it doesn't stink up the hotel again...

Cheers
Phil

Also must add, I was the person that the guests asked what the cause of the smell was...I told em someone had thrown some old cheese down the garbage shute...they all believed it as well...

There's two types of people in this world, those that have smelled this smell, and those that haven't. Those that have don't need to call poison control to induce vomiting. Uggggh.

I a while back I had a leak in my rubbermaid tun once, and the inner insulation got flooded with wort, it went off the next day and took FOREVER to get rid of the smell. Keep those bulkhead fittings tight!

Recently I had a whole bag of spent pilsner malt sit closed over night. I could smell the DMS through the double bag the next day. It really does smell like corn.

Back