Spectacular large Strawberries taste like shit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
Sorry to be negative but I have my humble home grown. I couldn't help myself to the temptations to these humongous gorgeous looking strawberries that seem so cheap but impressively good looking.

Damb that's the last time I will buy without tasting first!

Mould flavour, no valuable contribution other than the deceiving good looks.

Rant over.

Yep, the big ones are usually a terrible cultivar for actually eating. Nothing like home grown. The little commercial ones can be pretty good when you can get them.

How do you know they are GMO? The best tasting strawberries I ever ate, incredibly fragrant and sweet, were in Korea and they were about a quarter the size of my hand. We don't get this variety in AU (yet). The point is that some varieties of large berries are excellent. And no, they were not GMO.

SPS said:
How do you know they are GMO? The best tasting strawberries I ever ate, incredibly fragrant and sweet, were in Korea and they were about a quarter the size of my hand. We don't get this variety in AU (yet). The point is that some varieties of large berries are excellent. And no, they were not GMO.
We do get them here, in Victoria anyways, I know one of the brothers who own the strawberry farm in Coldstream he has strawberries as big as an apple and when he gave me one I was expecting the worst but it was actually quite sweet, he also gave me some of the chemical fertilizer which they use to grow the strawberries, (not available to the general public) but I never used it .My favorite and most sweet tasting strawberry I have grown is the Japanese Hokowase.

Yes, the Korean varieties are bred from some Japanese types. Didn't know we could get them here.

Those big one are from American root stock so they could possibly be GMO, I am pretty sure the grower told me he couldn't collect the seed off them and had to get the root stock from America.

If cant collect the seed it probably means they are hybrids, not GMO.

Best strawberries I've ever had were the size of your thumbnail and grew on the side of a forest path in Switzerland. A life experience I will never forget. Like the flavour of 10 giant supermarket strawberries packed into one. Ever wondered what the artificial strawberry flavour is based on? I found it.

iJosh said:
Best strawberries I've ever had were the size of your thumbnail and grew on the side of a forest path in Switzerland. A life experience I will never forget. Like the flavour of 10 giant supermarket strawberries packed into one. Ever wondered what the artificial strawberry flavour is based on? I found it.
Never been to Switzerland but the tastiest strawberries I've grown at home were Alpine Bliss (or something like that) and were as you described. Small but full of flavour.

I think the frost free variety of strawberries was developed with a gene from a deep sea fish.

I believe what something is grown in has to contribute a lot to its flavour. That's why I'm not big fan of hydroponics myself, although it might be okay on a small scale, I definitely don't like the supermarket stuff.

When I worked on a tomato farm in Redland Bay Qld about 15 years ago, everyone used too say ohhhh what beautiful red volcanic soil, they must taste great. The reality was the farmer had flogged the soil to death for years, got elected to council, had his farmland rezoned and approved for subdivision, and then sold it all up and made millions. The last couple of years he laid strips of plastic along with the three main nutrients the plants needed, and irrigation lines. Then he fed gas through the lines which killed every living microbe under the plastic then sat back and waited for his next crop. When finished he ripped each row of the plastic sheets and piping up in giant rolls about 2.5 metres tall and dumped them at the local tip. While they didn't taste like shit, they definitely didn't have the nutrition they should have.

I can't blame him its been the story of mankind through the ages, but I think the message these days is find someone who grows the good stuff and give them your hard earned readies instead. Speaking of the good stuff how does hydroponic medicinal marijuana compare to the private individuals plot in a national park variety?

The fish story is just that, a story, there is a lot of stories spread around about GMO foods.

g260127-genetically-modified-strawberry-spl-jpg.jpg

The thing that annoys me most about all this GMO stuff is that they get permission to grow it, plant it next to another farmer who doesn't want it anywhere near his crop, then protect the GMO farmer if any ends up cross pollinating the GMO free farm. It's a way that a corporation with funds bigger than many countries yearly budgets is rapidly taking over the world food production by forcing growers to buy their seeds. If you don't want their product but it infiltrates your crops from neighboring farms your well and truly fucked!

I'm not opposed to scientists finding new ways to feed the world's growing demand for more food but I am seriously opposed to one corporation controlling it all.

Back