Sparkies/Electronics people

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cheap but they look ok

I dont use wire strippers like that but for a beginer then they are good value

I bought a cheap set like those and found they didn't work well. Pushed the main sheath backwards instead of pulling the stripped sheath away. Invested in a $30 pair of Irwins from Bungings and they work well enough. At work it's just another tool you have to carry but they're faster than linesman's when you have hundreds of points to fit off.

So did mine but didn't make a lick of difference. Suspect it was to do with the balance of the two springs.

Yep, I bought that same set OP posted and had the same experience as Camo6. I also thought it was the balance of the springs. Save your money and buy some real ones.

So I know which are the shit wire strippers, but which are the good ones?

The Irwin ones I bought, which were the same design as the ones linked, work well on TPS/flex/SDI/building wire etc but occasionally mark the insulation if the tension is set wrong. Still, they're pretty handy.
What sort of wire are you stripping? There are a few different types depending on the gauge you're stripping.

Camo6 said:
The Irwin ones I bought, which were the same design as the ones linked, work well on TPS/flex/SDI/building wire etc but occasionally mark the insulation if the tension is set wrong. Still, they're pretty handy.
What sort of wire are you stripping? There are a few different types depending on the gauge you're stripping.
Warning: Dumb reply inbound.

Home brew wire.

Pretty much car,bike 12volt kinda stuff and what home brewers tend to play with..

And on a lighter note, the wife just asked me what I was looking at and I replied "strippers" :p

But I may just go with the Irwin ones..

The thing I love about the Irwin's is they strip the outer sheaths of TPS and Flex quickly and neatly and will even strip 3 wires at once. Still, nothing that a decent set of pliers can't achieve.

But please, if you don't know what kind of conductor you're working with, stick with 12 volts. Although, even 12V will burn your house down.

Camo6 said:
The thing I love about the Irwin's is they strip the outer sheaths of TPS and Flex quickly and neatly and will even strip 3 wires at once. Still, nothing that a decent set of pliers can't achieve.

But please, if you don't know what kind of conductor you're working with, stick with 12 volts. Although, even 12V will burn your house down.

Noted.

Thank-you.

Got some just like it off ebay after playing with my mates bunnings ones. He paid about $40, work tool as hes an electronics tech. Mine were about 10. Not quite as good, but pretty damn close. Same adjustable tension etc.

Wish I'd known they existed a lot sooner!

Camo6 said:
Although, even 12V will burn your house down.
I borrowed a mates car once. He had put a second battery in it himself. Unfortunately, it had no fuse.

I went over a bump, and all the electronics flashed, and smoke started coming out of the bonnet.

I pulled over, and couldnt work out why the bonnet wouldnt lift.

I eventually gave it a good hit, and got it up, to see that the battery had welded itself to the underside of the bonnet, and the feed wiring was rooted.

Ahh, good times.......

Camo6 said:
Although, even 12V will burn your house down.
I wont tell you about the time I used to drop lengths of bus bar across battery terminal when we swapped them out.....

I Realise now that it was a very stupid idea........Copper was worth $$$$.....

I remember my first wire strippers in my apprentice tool box

Pretty good set actually. Still got them. Originally supplied by Blackwoods

RFA-4214.JPG

I've got the OP's ones and every time I use them I rave about how much arse they kick. Granted I'm not running power lines but for small hobby stuff they crap all over scissors and pliers for us mortals. Got mine from Jaycar.

TheWiggman said:
I've got the OP's ones and every time I use them I rave about how much arse they kick. Granted I'm not running power lines but for small hobby stuff they crap all over scissors and pliers for us mortals. Got mine from Jaycar.
I still use side cutters. but not the little nippers, they have to sharp an edge on small wires....

I also use scissors, keys, knives, steel rulers, teeth, flat blade screwdrivers, stanley knives...pretty much anything with an edge...

Ducatiboy stu said:
I still use side cutters. but not the little nippers, they have to sharp an edge on small wires....

I also use scissors, keys, knives, steel rulers, teeth, flat blade screwdrivers, stanley knives...pretty much anything with an edge...

unnamed.jpg
The only scissors you'll ever need.

Ducatiboy stu said:
these are what i have in my tool box as well
the only other ones i use is a straight blade knife that the navy issued me.

Latest posts

Back