Sparkies/Electronics people

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
I wont tell you about the time I used to drop lengths of bus bar across battery terminal when we swapped them out.....

I Realise now that it was a very stupid idea........Copper was worth $$$$.....

I remember my first wire strippers in my apprentice tool box

Pretty good set actually. Still got them. Originally supplied by Blackwoods

RFA-4214.JPG
Yeah, these type of automatic wire strippers are handy, as long as the dies are decent. Best thing about them is they often have a bracket screwed on to get the same length strip every time. Good if your only job was endless repetitious cable stripping to 5-15mm
Most of the time a sharp cutter on pliers or side cutters are good enough though.
i once worked with a sparky that prefered using rotary coax stripper for 2.5 and 4 mm. Those grey plastic $5 things for tv cable. You have to play around with setting them up, but cheap enough to have one set for each size I guess. Because he started out on industrial and see 4mm cable a lot, I guess that's what he learnt (you aren't going to strip those cables with the above pictured stripper).
To my suprise they work good, less chance of damaging a few outside strands than pliers/side cutter after they are set up right.

Most strippers like mentioned previously are really only good upto 2mm than its side cutter/pliers up to 4-6mm....then its a knife for anything larger...and a hacksaw for really big stuff

Back