Spargeing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam2584

Reaction score
Gday all

Just hear to pick the brains trust on best way to sparge I saw a rotating arm the other day at a brew demo at grain and grape and wandering if anyone knows of a cheap and easy way to build one

cheers all

Cameron

Have a look at aquarium setups, they use them in the sump style filters

Would I use one, no.

I want my return line to distribute evenly without the risk of HSA

QldKev

Are you handy at makeing things?
I fly sparge with a cut up cube with holes drilled.
If I am lazy (which is most of the time), I batch sparge.
If you are not worried about takeing time, then go the flie.

Are you handy at makeing things?
I fly sparge with a cut up cube with holes drilled.
If you fly sparge and keep a few cm of liquid above the grain bed, I really dont think it matters how the water gets in there.
As long as the liquor is sprinkled/spread nice and gently, a rubber hose with a few holes in it seems to work - for me - as well as any fancy mechanical sparge arm.
Then if you batch sparge it matters less, simply tip the water in any-old-how and mix it up before letting it settle for a bit.

The reason for the rotating sparge arm is because that's what commercial breweries use seeing as they have to sparge a couple of tonnes of mash etc. Just because they have do it, doesn't mean that it has any application to the batches we do at home. Sure you can make a little model of the item they use, but to me it's like spending every weekend for 15 years building a lovely little 1/5 scale version of a Mack B Double so you can fire it up and nip down the street to pick up a litre of milk.

Or you can painstakingly recreate a little version of a Victorian Tower Brewery with a hot liquor tun, mash tun, kettle, etc etc................

Hence the clear advantages of BIAB B)

Hey anyone got a blueprint to make a 1/20 scale version of a Steeles Masher ?

Hey
thanks for all the ideas what is HSA ?

so really if I make something that looks like a shower head that should be fine for a gravity feed ??

Hey

so really if I make something that looks like a shower head that should be fine for a gravity feed ??

HSA - Hot Side Aeration

excessively oxygenating wort or beer when it's in the hot side of production. Some will tell you it's a problem, others will say it doesn't matter to anyone brewing on the size scale most homebrewers use.

Big Nath thanks for that

I get ya so after the wort is cooled you want to oxygen in it so the yeast can start to multiply ?

on trusting you tube getting some ideas i think I will just use a old plastic bucket I will have a spare one after i use up some more washing powder and give it a good clean

How big should the holes be or is it smaller the better

Cheers Cameron

My bad mate, thought you had a pump.

cheers

Hey

All good yardy maybe after get a few brews under me belt Ill go for a pump

thanks for allt he ideas blokes been watching you tube as well and got some more great ideas

I get ya so after the wort is cooled you want to oxygen in it so the yeast can start to multiply ?

Yep. Oxygen when it's hot = bad
Oxygen at pitching, or during the first 12/24hrs (approx.) = good.
Oxygen after fermentation really takes hold = bad again.

Back