Sparge Setups Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNQ Bunyip

Non Pro Member
Reaction score
Ok I've searched both the gallery and posts for some ideas for setting up a sparge return manifold or something or other..

I,ve seen Zwickles nice ss ring under his tun lid with stirrer ect , and Devos copper coil spiral , But what are others using??

I'm thinking about a copper ring with holes drilled around the inside of the loop , it can sit on the grain and drain down , hows that sound ?

Any pics of other setups out there ??

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Pretty draconian but it works!!

IMGP1790.JPG

Hi Ned,
I use a removable diffuser (for lack of a better word) to dissipate the stream of wort over the grain bed. A picture tells one thousand words.

DSC01250.JPG

cheers

Browndog

Hi Ned,
I use a removable diffuser (for lack of a better word) to dissipate the stream of wort over the grain bed. A picture tells one thousand words.

attachment=19090:DSC01250JPG

cheers

Browndog

is that wort going into your sparge?

otherwise looks good. i'm going to be builing new mash tun/spargeing setup soon, i think i'll use something similar to that. cheers.

Thanks for the replies and pics , Good idea Tony .

I have just knocked up this
med_gallery_592_88_202700.jpg

will be interesting too see how it gos...

cheers

is that wort going into your sparge?

otherwise looks good. i'm going to be builing new mash tun/spargeing setup soon, i think i'll use something similar to that. cheers.

That is what is called recirculation.

Hi Ned,

cheers

Browndog

is there a chance of HSA in doing this ?

cheers
yard

is there a chance of HSA in doing this ?

cheers
yard

Buggered if I know, my beer tastes OK. It is no different to fly sparging really.

cheers

Browndog

That is the way the setup should normally be a return below the mash/wort level for lautering and the sprinklers for sparge liquor additions only. HSA is not a myth.

Myself, when I fly sparge I just lay the hose from the HLT on top of the grain bed and adjust the flow rate to keep an inch or so of water on top. Works well enough.

That is the way the setup should normally be a return below the mash/wort level for lautering and the sprinklers for sparge liquor additions only. HSA is not a myth.

Myself, when I fly sparge I just lay the hose from the HLT on top of the grain bed and adjust the flow rate to keep an inch or so of water on top. Works well enough.

So if my sparge ring sits on top of the grain all should be right ? yes....

cheers

Yep, no problem Ned. Try and maintain just a bit of water over the top of the bed while sparging.

Cheers.

Yep, no problem Ned. Try and maintain just a bit of water over the top of the bed while sparging.

Cheers.

Ok sounds like I should bring it over and we can christen the whole rig :ph34r:

cheers

Hi Bunyip

One thing to consider with the setup shown further up the thread is to be careful that little bits of grain don't clog up the holes as there are prone to be some floating around , unless you can filter them out someway or have larger holes.

Lagers

I,ve seen Zwickles nice ss ring under his tun lid with stirrer ect , and Devos copper coil spiral , But what are others using??

I built my devo inspired copper spiral a couple of months ago. Works great and fits perfectly to my converted keg opening. I love the fact that it evenly sprinkles water throughout coil irregardless if flow control is at an absolute crawl (if required) or all the way to full bore. I use a SS lid that fits perfectly ontop of the coil during sparge, better retaining sparge temp.

devo_arm.JPG

devo_arm2.JPG

reVox

Thanks for the replies and pics , Good idea Tony .

I have just knocked up this
med_gallery_592_88_202700.jpg

will be interesting too see how it gos...

cheers

Looks great Ned. I am planning to use a 140mm dia copper shower head for the same purpose but may well make up one like yours or a spiral like reVox has done. :)
As the grain bed will rise & fall when doing single or double batches I plan to attach different lengths of food-grade hose between the shower head & the lid to allow for this (I only have a 38 litre mash tun). Has anyone got a better idea.
What are the best size holes for this? I think that three lots of holes (Through both sides & the top) in that ring might be the way to go Ned?

TP :beer:

What are the best size holes for this? I think that three lots of holes (Through both sides & the top) in that ring might be the way to.

I don't know what the best size hole is for this application, but I've always been under the impression that 1mm is preferred. I drilled approx. 50 1mm holes on the underside of the spiral, each approx. 3cm apart. Expect to go through a few drill bits - I needed 3 (and continued working with the broken bits as long as I could). I worked it out to where each hole cost me .20c :huh:

I have a feeling 1mm is what allows the spiral to sprinkle evenly at any flow rate.

reVox

Back