Space saving fermentation ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#brewlife

Reaction score
has anybody got any space saving fermentation ideas?

My current fermentation fridge is quite small 400x400x800.

I’d like to be able to have 2x20l batches in there at once.

I was considering corny’s but that means I’d probably only get away with 15l in each and maybe have to do 30l batches.

Thanks for the advice and ideas.

Pressurised fermentation in Cornys? Kegland have pretty cheap spunding valves. That would allow you to get more in. Alternatively, the kegmenter is 395mm diameter... might just fit?

Yeah I’ve been looking at this. Can you get the full 19-20 in there?
I’ve never done pressurised fermentation, does it still blow off? Or will it just settle out after the first few days and the sounding valve stops the keg exploding by regulating the pressure?

If you go down the cube path you can get 2 x 25 litre cubes in (28 litres counting head space) put a blow of tube in the top via a barb connection or 2 x 20 litre cubes (23 litres counting head space) same thing with the barb and tube and restrict the tube so back pressure will restrict the krausen. Personally I would go with the 25 litre.

If you go down the cube path you can get 2 x 25 litre cubes in (28 litres counting head space) put a blow of tube in the top via a barb connection or 2 x 20 litre cubes (23 litres counting head space) same thing with the barb and tube and restrict the tube so back pressure will restrict the krausen. Personally I would go with the 25 litre.
Don’t think I’ll get 2x25’s in as they’re 290x290x435 close though.
How would you restrict the blow off tube? Thought it would be better bigger to let the grub out?

You're right, and the only difference is the height in the 20 and 25 litre, as sp0rk says the jerry can would be the way to go. Biggest problem with those is if you install the tap be very careful not to knock it, happened to me and others on here, for some reason the tap comes out. What is the grub?
Restrict the blow off tube by pinching it, but by doing that you are creating back pressure which isn't beneficial to the yeast but keeps the krausen low, Fermentation should be kept robust to get rid of what you don't want to end up with in your beer, or conversely what you do want in your beer.

You're right, and the only difference is the height in the 20 and 25 litre, as sp0rk says the jerry can would be the way to go. Biggest problem with those is if you install the tap be very careful not to knock it, happened to me and others on here, for some reason the tap comes out. What is the grub?
Restrict the blow off tube by pinching it, but by doing that you are creating back pressure which isn't beneficial to the yeast but keeps the krausen low, Fermentation should be kept robust to get rid of what you don't want to end up with in your beer, or conversely what you do want in your beer.
Sorry trub/krausen, is the idea to restrict the line so only a tiny bit of air can get out or just reduce the line size, in which case would it be easier to use a small id tube?
Would this reduce the robustness of the fermentation as you put it?

That is correct the krausen will stay pretty low and the co2 will be dissolving into the wort, not a good thing for the health of the yeast. Yes the smaller the line the more pressure on the ferment.

Note the 23lt Corny keg left. (for 20lt ferments) The 55lt kegmenter on the right (for up to 44lt ferments) and space left for hyrdo samples and a 5lt Demijohn. Sometimes I use a blow off mini keg set up. If you expect blow off etc.
My other fridge fits 3 X 18lt kegs plus an 11lt keg, and some PET bottled samples. I don't have a grab-able pic of that but Its a slender fridge like yours. I ended up making custom shelves to slide into the original design. Its tight! you cant disconnect unless you remove a keg usually. I also chose the shortest kegs too. Some of those old Coke kegs were much shorter than the standard heights of cornies. So I could fit two levels in the slender fridge.
All I can say is, measure, measure, sourt different sizes, measure, when you know it can all fit and work then buy!
$0.02

Attachments

• Ancient Orange Mead0001.JPG
    Ancient Orange Mead0001.JPG
    532.8 KB · Views: 152
and space left for hyrdo samples
Why do you keep hydro samples in the fermenting fridge? Are you fermenting the samples in the tubes to monitor progress in the kegmenters?

If so I would expect them to act quite differently especially as they are open fermented on the bottom shelf and doesn’t appear to be a fan in the fridge.

Why do you keep hydro samples in the fermenting fridge? Are you fermenting the samples in the tubes to monitor progress in the kegmenters?

If so I would expect them to act quite differently especially as they are open fermented on the bottom shelf and doesn’t appear to be a fan in the fridge.
Yeah I leave them as an indicator of the fermentation progress. They seem to take the same time to ferment out as far as I have tested. It is an inbuilt fan/circulated fridge.

That is correct the krausen will stay pretty low and the co2 will be dissolving into the wort, not a good thing for the health of the yeast. Yes the smaller the line the more pressure on the ferment.
Thanks for the input on this guys. 2 final questions:
What is the max volume you would fill with wort in this areangement? Would you consider fermcap?

Yeah I leave them as an indicator of the fermentation progress. They seem to take the same time to ferment out as far as I have tested. It is an inbuilt fan/circulated fridge.

Doesn't make much sense as a forced fermentation test type thing, as the top is completely open and therefore chances of contamination giving you a different result are high...I'm guessing that you've just been lucky so far and not had them get contaminated?

Latest posts

Back