South Australia Stubbies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfarrell

Reaction score
I really need to get some stubbies. I'm making a brew for XMas and want to be able to drink them out the bottle. I've always used PET before now. Where in the South of Adelaide (Morphett Vale) can I get stubbie from? The recycling places say it's illegal to repurchace bottles off them, this sucks.

Any one in Adelaide have any ideas?

You could trawl the streets and battle the vagrants on recycling day.

I really need to get some stubbies. I'm making a brew for XMas and want to be able to drink them out the bottle. I've always used PET before now. Where in the South of Adelaide (Morphett Vale) can I get stubbie from? The recycling places say it's illegal to repurchace bottles off them, this sucks.

Any one in Adelaide have any ideas?
I could spare you some dirty ones if you are up to cleaning them Kieran.

I live at Hallett Cove. Send a PM if you want some.

C&B
TDA

I'm lucky enough to have a father that drinks a large amount of commercial bottled beer. Can also pinch them off friends, whatever. If you know they're tight, give them 5c per bottle, or 10c if they rinse the bottles after drinking them. I also pick bottles up from work if I need them.

The key to reusing bottles is to RINSE after use, this prevents spores growing which are a pain in the rectum to remove. Then all they require is a rinse with a no-rinse sanitiser (that makes sense I think).

Pubs often have bottles they're happy for you to take away.

Mates are a good source. Put the word out to keep their empties and they're happy enough in exchange for a taster or two of your brew.

Maybe try another recycling place. I've definitely heard of people successfully procuring bottles from the recyclers.

The recycling places say it's illegal to repurchace bottles off them, this sucks.

I thought this was the case for the old Pickaxe bottles that were actually collected for the brewery to be washed and reused. I can't see how it would be illegal for just the normal 5c returnable stubbies?

Set up a table in front of the recyclers to intercept people before they go in.... :p

there's no 5 cent deposit on champers bottles (yet) so they're a piece of p!ss to get heaps of them.
they're stronger and look fancy :)
3 different pubs have all let me go through all of their empty bottles, some every weekend for a month or so.

I live next door to an Italian Social club. All the blokes and sheilas go there for a dance and to mingle every saturday night. I just popped over when the manager was there cleaning up and asked to have all their empty beer bottles. Over the past two weeks they have given me 12 boxes of 12 longnecks each, 144 bottles. Just go to a trendy bar that sells stubbies or find a social club (maybe a bowls club?) and ask to take them off their hands. Most people seem quite happy to see their waste be recycled.

Ive found the recycling depots usually only keep the grolsh bottles. The scout recycling depot in port adelaide keep the extra strong coopers longnecks.
Stubbies, recycling day.

the recycling place near where I live keeps longnecks to sell, it's strange they're telling you that

Latest posts

Back