Sourdough smells like rotting feet!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
Started a new starter at the fiancé's house a couple of days ago, i just went to feed it and it smells like rotten feet!

Anyone experienced this/continued on?

Thinking I might start a new one with pineapple juice?

Thow half away then feed. Feed every day. If you don't feed every day it will go funky. Leave it in the fridge. Once you have a nice ferment going again then freeze half.

Lack of oxygen can cause off smells as well

Sounds like a healthy starter :)

Last year I learned that the same bacteria in smelly cheese appears in smelly feet: brevi bacterium linens.

This stuff is unpredictable; our latest sauerkraut, to me, has a bit of a sewery smell to it. Tastes fine. I'll let you know if I die, though, honest....

I feed every 24, usually it's just dormant for a few days (3-4) and then smells like yoghurty flour, yeast and alcohol.. Never had stinky feet/blue cheese.

What about a bright green growth on the side of the container?

Green growth is mold. That's bad.

try scraping that part off but if it has gone right through the starter you ,may have to start again. Mold is usually a sign that the starter hasn't acidified enough so you may be getting other bacteria (the feet ones) growing rather than the lactic bacteria you want.

Or it could just be a sign of a really hardy mold that will grow in an acid environment.

Cheers
Dave

It's jus a speck on the side of the bowl, so probably just a bit that won't acidity. I tipped it this morning. I'll grab some pineapple juice and start again. I have a feeling it's something coming from the flour I'm using. Never used that one before..

Why the pineapple juice? Whenever I have made starters its just flour and water.

pineapple has protease enzymes in it that will break down the flour proteins and will also attack the yeast. It will also acidify things quickly which will also inhibit yeast growth.

The way I have always done it, the flour/water mix has plenty of endemic lactic bacteria and the air has plenty of yeast. the yeast will start things fermenting and the lactic bacteria will naturally slowly acidify things so you have time for the symbiosis to form.

Cheers
Dave

Edit - BTW if you want some established starter I'm happy to send out pieces of mine. Its getting on for 20 years old now.

Back