Sour beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm interesting. I certainly have not. But at a guess it would be pretty small. Would love to hear an answer on this one!

a quick google says they have about 6 to 8% sugar content... so yeah, not much id say

Tony said:
Something i just thought of........Has anyone calculated the amount of sugars (alcahol) that will be added to a lambic per KG of sour cherries?
Nope, but I have 5kg of normal cherries in 20L of lambic atm. Must sample it and see how its travelling...

Raven, I would love to hear about how you find it. I heard that ordinary cherries just don't contribute enough skank-tart compared to the sour cherries. We should do a small lambic swap sometime soon.
I am in Melbourne at the moment and 120 bucks down from getting some different sours. Ah... if only the Goldy had some choice bottle shops!

Here is something I did the other day for what it is worth.

I have a keg of kinda-kriek that is very acidic. It has bright fruit (I used a lot of frozen maraschino cherries) but the lacto load with a bit of aceto is just too aggressive to be palatable.

I found that liquored back, it is an absolutely delicious mid-light strength beer. I have just been diluting with supermarket mineral water at various ratios, but because I used so much cherry, it is still refreshing and drinkable at even the tiniest concentration, plus all that acid has been diluted. At weaker strengths it is more like some kind of cocktail mixer than beer, but it is still a very nice beverage to my dry-biased, acid-biased palate.

Plus you look really tough drinking a bright pink beer.

haha would look great at a BBQ with the boys in a tall champagne flute with the little pinkie sticking out :p

I have a cube full of a pink beer that was make with wild hibiscus flowers. I have been thinking of pouring it in a fermenter with my last pack of lambic blend but its about 25 - 30 IBU

Anyone have any experience with making lambic thats hoppy and bitter? I used citra :p

Oh while i am here...... my flanders red has some funky looking brown skin growing with oily looking big bubbles.

Will take pics later :)

Tony said:
Anyone have any experience with making lambic thats hoppy and bitter? I used citra :p
yeah i have made a few beers with lots of hops. i don't understand the whole fear of bitterness in sour beers (unless you want to make a berliner). it helps protect from lacto and acetobacter, fades to a nice level by the time the sourness has smoothed out anyway. but i usually use noble hops. i like the combination of bitterness and sourness - some don't. made a 55IBU rye altbier that got infected with pedio from a previous lambic and turned to jelly for a year. when it reliquified it was delicious...

Im planning a Saison with a sour twist...
Im going to chuck a packet of Wyeast 3763 RoeselarePC on top of a French Saison yeast cake.
Looking at some fruity American hops, havnt decided yet on the hop profile. Looking for some fruity goodness to shine through.

Cheers

Tony said:
haha would look great at a BBQ with the boys in a tall champagne flute with the little pinkie sticking out :p

I have a cube full of a pink beer that was make with wild hibiscus flowers. I have been thinking of pouring it in a fermenter with my last pack of lambic blend but its about 25 - 30 IBU

Oh while i am here...... my flanders red has some funky looking brown skin growing with oily looking big bubbles.

Will take pics later :)
Someone chucked a bretty IPA in a funky case swap a couple of years ago - was superb.

I agree about not being scared of the hops if you are going to make a new style of soured beer. I am not saying that I am good at this, but just think of what flavours will work together, even get commercial/homebrew examples for flavours in front of you, an old Orval for brett brux, stouts, IPAs, sours might be a bit harder if you don't have your own on hand.

If you I was going to age it for a long time though, I would not use loads of late hops, you could dry hop after aging like Cantillon Iris:
http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_108

Ok.... here is my plan.

Im planning on selling all my brewing gear soon, im not going to get back into it full time for health reasons, but i do want to still make a couple batches of sour beers (and AIPA's) a year for some fun. and will just bottle them

I am going to put the hibiscus ale in a 15L blue water bottle with a lambic blend, and ferment a Rye IPA i have in a 17L cube that used 300g+ of cascade with some 1272. I really want to try this beer!

When the Rye IPA is done and bottled, im going to put the cube of oak smoked porter i have in the carboy, ferment with 1469 and when its almost done, im gunna pitch some brett and let it sit for 12 months on some oak.

That will give me 4 funkys:

Flanders Red
Lambic
Hibiscus funky thing
Oak smoked oaked sour porter

Flanders red has some weird looking brown stuff growing...... with little white puffs here and there

Flanders funky head.jpg

looks normal to me for a sour

petesbrew said:
Got a Smoked porter with some Brett yeast in it.... bit of an experiment.
Had a taste yesterday after a week.

Smoked Balsamic Vinegar anyone? I'm praying it gets better over time, but currently regretting not bottling half.
Ended up adding some french oak chips in a bag - bottled it last week and it was tasting quite okay.
Typical me, always getting worried over nothing.
Tony, saw you had something similar planned on your list. Here's my recipe.

Apocalyptic Porter
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.09
Anticipated OG: 1.042 Plato: 10.401
Anticipated EBC: 62.8
Anticipated IBU: 29.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.4 1.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.039 3
48.0 3.88 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 6
4.4 0.36 kg. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 108
7.4 0.60 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750
24.7 2.00 kg. Weyermann Smoked Germany 1.037 4
3.1 0.25 kg. Carafa Special Germany 1.030 1182
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.80 25.3 60 min.
20.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.80 2.7 15 min.
20.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.80 1.7 5 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP013 London Ale

Notes
-----
Batch split between 2 fermenters - different yeasts used WLP013 & S04.
1st batch WLP013 bottled at FG=1008. Smoke flavours medium-mild.
2nd batch added Brett Bruxellensis & 20g French oak chips. Bottled after a month.

How did I miss this thread?!. I have a packet of roselare on the way this week and am keen to do my first sour. Flanders brown for me, though in may split it into 11 litre Demi johns and put one on fruit. I had a boon gueze last night, which was intensely sour.

mje1980 said:
How did I miss this thread?!. I have a packet of roselare on the way this week and am keen to do my first sour. Flanders brown for me, though in may split it into 11 litre Demi johns and put one on fruit. I had a boon gueze last night, which was intensely sour.
Oddly enough, i too am about to do my first sour, which also happens to be a flanders brown. I'll be using WLP665 - Flemish ale blend. Has Sacc, Brett, Ped and lacto in it, as well as some acidulated malt.

Must be sour week :)

Planning to put down a Flanders red this Saturday also, going with the Roselare as well.

Awesome stuff, meet here again in 24 months? Haha. Keep us updated guys. What made you all try sours?. I'm trying one because I recently tried rodenbach grand cru and boon kriek. Both excellent IMHO

Hi mje

Brewing one up because I love Rodenbach Grand Cru :icon_drool2:

Will keep you posted on progress.

Cheers Jefin

Wrong time of year to be putting down a sour unless your going to temp control it.
Rose large tends to become unbalanced with the high temps of summer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back