Sour beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American Sour Beers by Michael Tonsmeire (the mad fermentationist) arrived in the post from the US yesterday. I obviously haven't read it yet but flicking through it, it looks fantastic!

Amazon. Had it pre ordered in February and it has just been released. About $15 from memory plus postage.

Cool, going to order this next week.
I have been following his page for ages, and email him with questions. He always emails back with great advice.

If you haven't read it already make sure to order Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow (brewers publications). Another cracker and the book that really got me hooked on the sours

We need a dedicated Sour Beer forum (is there one?) but in the mean time this will have to do! Attached is my latest experiment into the world of sour beers. From left to right and all inoculated with wyeast roselare:
1. A smoked and spiced pumpkin ale;
2. Rum barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout;
3. Smoked Porter;
4. Saison.
I intend to decant 5 litres of each brew I make into a demijohn and inoculate with differing blends of bugs and or Brett and record the results. I'm quite interested in how the stout turns out as is is heavily hopped - not a generally favourable environment for bugs. Anyway I'll post the results in 6 - 12 months.

image.jpg

I have a nice spider web like pellicle forming on the too of my latest brett porter. I've added some orval dregs to it as well. Got some boon Kriek and a gueze on the way, and the dregs of those will go in as well. Love boon Kriek.

A bit like this :)

image.jpg

You people are weird.
Having not ever had a sour beer will Dan's in Cairns have anything? Doubtful but I'd like to try one of these.

One of the online beer stores like beercartel will sort you out. Be warned though, they aren't cheap, and they are seriously good beers.

The blue cheese of the beer world.

Rodenbach grand cru is a good one, it's pasteurised and pretty cheap. If you can drink the whole thing and appreciate the flavours, you'll probably enjoy other sour beers.

once you go sour you'll never look back, I'd definitely go Rodenbach as a starter as some of the others like timmermans are back sweetened and really not that good to my tastes,

I am trying to convince the wife that getting two chest freezers big enough to fit a 228L wine barrel in each is the way to go so I can have a couple of perpetual sours going, trying the out of site out of mind theory

went into Dans in Ringwood today. None of them had any idea what a sour even was ha.

Thanks guys, I'll get around to ordering sometime and let you know what I think.

Purvis Cellars for sour/lambic beer heaven. Best selection of worldwide beers I have ever seen, Australian included. Could have walked out with a trolley full of beers I've never tasted. They had all the sours that Beer Deluxe have...cough, ahem at half the price too. Picked up a bunch of Lindemans sours and a Gueze which should be interesting, along with some Fancy pants and some Yeastie boys.....gonna be a fun weekend.
Do yourself a favour and drop in if your passing through Surrey HIlls.

20140702_223423.jpg

Martrix said:
Purvis Cellars for sour/lambic beer heaven. Best selection of worldwide beers I have ever seen, Australian included. Could have walked out with a trolley full of beers I've never tasted. They had all the sours that Beer Deluxe have...cough, ahem at half the price too. Picked up a bunch of Lindemans sours and a Gueze which should be interesting, along with some Fancy pants and some Yeastie boys.....gonna be a fun weekend.
Do yourself a favour and drop in if your passing through Surrey HIlls.

attachicon.gif
20140702_223423.jpg

The Lindemans Cuvee Rene Kreik is a great beer mate, enjoy it, I prefer their Cuvee Rene Gueze more personally, but it's a close call.

Hey folks

I was in my garage yesterday reloading some ammo for my new/old hobby, when i heard a farmilliar "BLOOP"

I then remembered the Lambic and Flanders red i put down in March 2013. Looks like they are still bubbling in my sub 17 deg garage and still have a funky mouldy layer on them after 16 months

Im thinking i would like to bottle the flanders in the next month or so.

Now in assuming there will be fark all yeast left in there so it may be a good idea to hit it with some fresh yeast.

My questions for those who have done this before......

Whats the best way to get it out of the demijon?
Should i add some fresh yeast........ im thinking some dreggs from a few fresh murrays bottles
Where can i get plastic champeign corks and cages?

Appreciate your help folks :)

Cheers

Autosiphon. I always add fresh yeast. Anything that isn't high abv seems to do ok with a touch of 05.
No idea about champers bits

Hey Tony,

You can get champers size crown seals and an extra size bell for your capper from most HB shops. Also plastic corks and cages although I've never used them

When I bottle from the demijohn I use carbonation drops and jerry rig an auto syphon to a bottling cane. Only problems priming the syphon, dont work with the small cane opening so you either have to prime with it disconected and get your sour brew all about like I do, or you could put a t-piece in line with the silicon line with an irrigation tap you can open for priming like I should do.

although dunno how youd get your fresh yeast in this way, bulk prime I guess though brett will eat sugar.

Reducer, tees and line all come from the irrigation section at bunnings.

show us a pick of how it turns out at bottling - youve been teasing us with stories of this special brew every few months. :icon_drool2:

Then to just work out the right amount of priming sugar to get the fiz right

Back