Some Times It Only Takes Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr

Reaction score
Today I tried one of last two botles of my first beer I ever made. If you read the comments at the end, it was not worth keeping, but I kept a couple of bottles. You can see it was bottled in march last year. What I can say is I wished I kept more. Even my better half was impressed. we live and learn.

Beer information Batch 1
Batch name Atom Lager
Type of Beer Coopers Lager
Can, best before date Saturday, 25 November 2006
Date of brewing Saturday, 12 March 2005
Volume of water L 23.75
Type of additives 1 Coopers Brewing sugar
Amount of additives Kg 1 1.000
Type of Yeast Coopers pure brewers'
Yeast, best before date Friday, 17 November 2006
Amount of yeast g 7
Temp of wort at yeast addition C 30
Original gravity 1045
Final gravity 1010
Date of racking Thursday, 17 March 2005
Temp at racking C 23
Date of bulk priming N/A
Temp at bulk priming C
Primer Coopers carbonation drops
Amount of primer
Date of bottling Wednesday, 30 March 2005
Temp at bottling C
Approx %ALC/VOL (Coopers) % 5.19%
Date of first tasting Sunday, 1 May 2005

This is my first batch of home brew, so I am not expecting much. What I found out was that the temperatures in the Coopers guide are actually too high and I need to bring them down. I have tested the gravity 2 occasions so far (15th & 16th of March) and they have sat at 1012 and 1011. I am hoping to rack it in the next couple of days, for a week and then bulk prime it with Dextrose. Racked beer, but not sure how good I did it. I didn't have enough hands to allow me to have a hose full of sanitising agent, so I just sanitised and hoped for the best. I will let the beer rest probably until Monday. Tasted beer yesterday and it tasted like apple cider. Not a good start. Deciding whether I should keep it or ditch it.

Using coopers so called brewing sugar turns any brew it is used in to cider,so no surprises there.I ruined my first 3 batches using this shit!!! :beerbang:

I did the same thing back when i was brewing kits. I brewed a batch of esb bavarian lager that found its way onto to my back lawn, all except 2 long necks.
6 months later i found those long necks in the back of the cupboard, so i refridgerated and tasted them. bloody brillaint!
Was absolutely spu'ing that i'd tossed it.

vl.

mark68 said:
Using coopers so called brewing sugar turns any brew it is used in to cider,so no surprises there.I ruined my first 3 batches using this shit!!! :beerbang:
I am not absolutely convinced that it ruins them now. I think they just need a lot of time to mature. All indications shown here by vlbaby and myself is wait 6 months and try the beer again [Diclaimer: This doesn't make my statement conclusive, but it may do]. Mind you there are better fermentables to put in than the Coopers stuff. I have another beer down using a leftover brew enhancer 2 which I niavely bought, when I initially got the homebrewing setup. I will try that a couple weeks after bottling and if it tastes cidery I will leave it for a few months.

Macr

Latest posts

Back