Some People Just Dont Get It!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrissyBrew said:
To add injury to insult some places have BYO wine, but not beer, and no premium beers your expected to sit back and suck down megaswill.

... or you could give wine a try, there are some really nice ones out there, cheaper as BYO as well ... :lol:

And VB/Melb bitter: Melb bitter is even worse than VB ...

BrissyBrew said:
Fosters and Crown larger, humm have to organise a blind taste test for the judges at the LHBC.

I will tell you what really gets to me, and it might just be a backwater brisbane thing but you go out to a decent restraunt, and ask what premium beers they have and yep you guessed it, we have crown larger sir. I said premium beer, not what fancy bottles. To add injury to insult some places have BYO wine, but not beer, and no premium beers your expected to sit back and suck down megaswill.
[post="56937"][/post]​
Do the test in a triangular fashion, ie two beers of one type and one of the other. You can get two types of information, whether people can discern between them, and whether people can tell which is crown and which is fosters. Of the people that can pick the difference, most seem to pick them the wrong way around. Mind you, this test is likely to be subject to some variation over time.

As for the restaurants not stocking decent beer or allowing BYO beer, I always ask when making a booking. If they aren't beer friendly I tell them I will go somewhere that is.

When I was working at CUB in brewing back in the late 80's I know for sure that there was no "we are going to make Crown or Fosters" or "Vic or Melb bitter". They just make lager and bitter batches and when the brewer tastes it he then decides which will be which of how much of the tank will be crown etc.
Wish I had paid more attention. As far as preservatives go there is one job in the brewing department that is called the "powder". This is when the beer is gettin filtered and being sent to packaging. I dont have a clue what this stuff was but the person doing this job would take directions from the "jet" (filter) driver about how much to add to some tanks so it could be sent up.
I did'nt work there for too long so i did'nt pay much attention to what was actually going on.
I beleive and old friend still works there. Maybe I can catch up and find out for sure.

cheers
johnno

Hi all,
I was under the impression that some type of Arsenic comopund was used to kill yeast in Megaswill prior to bottling

I could well be wrong.

Case

mje1980 said:
IGoes to show, you cant put brains in idiots!.

G'day mje1980,
How right you are. I'm sure that a lot of blokes up my way on the Sunshine Coast will agree with me when I say that the Sunshine Coast Brewery at Kunda Park brews a great beer including a mild or strong chilli (The mild blew me away). Try to get any of their beers on tap anywhere on the coast except at their brewery itself & you're out of luck. All you will get is the same old mass production stuff. How sad is that? Especially when they won dual gold medals at the Australian International Beer Awards for their excellent stout. Here is their link.
I am crossing my fingers that this URL link works out at my first attempt. :unsure: :unsure:

[[/quote]
Hi Tidalpete

You have a ) in the URL. Get rid of that and it is fine.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="57049"][/post]​
[/quote]

My thanks Pedro. You're a star. I''ll have a beer for you. :D :D

Tidalpete said:
mje1980 said:
IGoes to show, you cant put brains in idiots!.

G'day mje1980,
How right you are. I'm sure that a lot of blokes up my way on the Sunshine Coast will agree with me when I say that the Sunshine Coast Brewery at Kunda Park brews a great beer including a mild or strong chilli (The mild blew me away). Try to get any of their beers on tap anywhere on the coast except at their brewery itself & you're out of luck. All you will get is the same old mass production stuff. How sad is that? Especially when they won dual gold medals at the Australian International Beer Awards for their excellent stout. Here is their link.
I am crossing my fingers that this URL link works out at my first attempt. :unsure: :unsure:
[post="57031"][/post]​

Congartulations on their stout, I must give it a try - But I can honestly say I thought their bitter was a real dissapointment & that's putting it really nicely...

When I was working at CUB in brewing back in the late 80's I know for sure that there was no "we are going to make Crown or Fosters" or "Vic or Melb bitter". They just make lager and bitter batches and when the brewer tastes it he then decides which will be which of how much of the tank will be crown etc.
Wish I had paid more attention. As far as preservatives go there is one job in the brewing department that is called the "powder". This is when the beer is gettin filtered and being sent to packaging. I dont have a clue what this stuff was but the person doing this job would take directions from the "jet" (filter) driver about how much to add to some tanks so it could be sent up.
I did'nt work there for too long so i did'nt pay much attention to what was actually going on.
I beleive and old friend still works there. Maybe I can catch up and find out for sure.

cheers
johnno

Hey Johnno,

I just read your post (from donkey's ages ago) about having worked for fosters in the late 80's. How late in the eighties?? I worked my first season up in brewing in 89. Maybe we met?

The Powder that "powderman" added was Diatomaceous Earth and its just the filtering agent. Doesn't actually make it into the beer. There are other things added like PVPP or Silica Gel that are filtered out again.. but very few of the dreaded "artificial preservatives" that homebrewers seem to think make up half the ingredients of a mega lager are actually added. Some sodium met, some ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and one other thing I cant remember.

Apart from that its all hops water malt yeast and a couple of differnt types of sugar adjunct.

Sadly the powderman's job no longer exists.. he has been replaced by a giant bag of powder and a machine. Oh well.

Interestingly enough... while crownies used to be just fosters with tighter QA specs, nowadays it isn't so. Crownies have a kettle addition of Hops that doesn't go into the normal lager brews. Not a lot of difference, but now its officially there.

Thirsty

Latest posts

Back