Black Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but you really can't beat a nice round ale that's about 3 weeks old in my opinion.

I also think that ales can be a lot more forgiving (and therefore rewarding) for new brewers.

I agree totally! Bottle conditioning is usually the best way for all the brews I have tried, but I have done a few toucans (ale + stout + nottingham) that have been at their best right on the two week mark. I just never wanted to say it on the forum in case I was laughed back to Oliver and Geoffs!

And I have yet to have bad dark beer. Easy to make, robust, hearty and good for you.

InCider.

HonestAds5.jpg
stout.jpg

MonchshofSchwarzbier.jpg

Yummy azz Schawarzbier

Koestritzer_BlackBeer_Bottl.jpg

Batz

I'm not sure I'd agree that conditioning them for a long time is necessary (or even beneficial) for most ales, black or otherwise. One of the great things about ales is that they are pretty quick to produce and generally, best drunk relatively fresh. It looks like you've just discovered this for yourself :beerbang:

I've actually been unable to age anything yet - I pour my first glass about an hour after transferring to the keg. I generally wonder when the keg's empty how the beer would have tasted if was able to leave it for a month or two. So far I haven't had a dud beer though.....

Has anyone else on here tried this same fresh wort (Brewer's Selection Double Choc Stout)?
Wouldn't mind knowing if others thought it was an excellent beer or if I've just been hiding under a rock.

Cheers.

Welcome to the dark side of brewing. Some dark beers taste absolutely fantastic 2 weeks in the bottle, some tase better 6 months on. Like Stu and others have said, keep sampling your brews from about 2 weeks onwards. Wait till you discover a Russian Imnperial Stout...

Years ago, I never liked a dark brew, now they are just one part of the fantastic array of beers available.

Also, lagers have their brown/dark side. Make sure you explore Oktoberfests and Scwarzbiers. Be warned, to do these styles justice, you will slide into ag brewing.

I've got to admit, I've driftred towards the dark end of the scale. After a few american pale ales, I got tired of them and started making different beers. I'm having a Coopers Pale Ale (I'm at the missus' place right now), and does it taste watery!!

Good to see another one start to get into the darker beers :)

Latest posts

Back