Black Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonl75

Reaction score
As I start to write this, I'm still gob-smacked that Ive avoided dark beers.

I'm still green when it comes to homebrewing, however I think I've got most of the basics down pat, well apart from patience anyway.

Last night after having a few APA's I decided to sample the stout I had bottled on the 22nd of last month. Yep, perhaps a little early having only been ten days in the bottle but it's been hard not to crack one - at bottling time I found myself holding the fermenter at 45 degrees above my head sucking every last dreg out of the tap - I knew this batch was good.

Now I'm not a beer aficionado nor any sort of expert but I know what I like and I can firmly say it was the best damn beer I have ever tasted.

My thoughts then turned to how my taste preferences had changed so much since putting down my first brew about a year ago.

Prior to homebrewing all you would have found in my fridge was Matilda Bay Bo Pils. Even though I'd drink and enjoy an ale, pilsner was my beer style of choice, certainly not black beers. I would never have thought I'd be saying a black beer was the best I had ever tasted!

I keg all my beers, I gave up bottling after two brews. I bottled this batch not wanting to waste valuable keg space on a black beer - actually this turned out to be a wise decision as generally a keg at my place only lasts a week or so.

Back to last night, I was so excited about this black beer I then started to think about who I was going to give bottles of my finest thus far to. After a while that decision was simple - no one. This batch will be just mine, none of my mates will know this particular brew exists. The Mrs. may be allowed a few sips if shes naughty, but thats it.

Anyway, thats about all I have to say. Most days I read this forum however I dont post. Im not quite experienced enough to offer firm advice and any question Ive had was already answered.

The brew was a Brewers Selection (no affiliation etc) fresh wort - Double Chocolate Stout dumped on a S04 yeast cake (previous IPA F/W) and fermented @ 18 degrees, nothing else - way too simple to be so damn tasty.

EDIT: Either Doc or Kiwi Greg well end up with one due to the union tipping.

Its a great feeling isnt it? Good one Simon :beer:
Cheers
Steve

Well done mate. Try getting into some dark and amber ales now that you've discovered the malty wonders of dark beers. As this is in the K&K section then I assume you are using kits. If so I can recommend the Muntons Strong Scottish ale and the Morgans Royal Oak Amber.

Black power! :chug:

Dark beers are great. What better on a chilly autumn night like last night? :lol:

Remember (or at least try) to keep some of those beers a bit longer. Darker beers tend to need some time to mature IMO and will age well too. If you can keep some for a few months or longer, you'll probably be very happy you did. (Must listen to own advice someday.
banghead.gif
)

I would never have thought I'd be saying a black beer was the best I had ever tasted!

The brew was a Brewers Selection (no affiliation etc) fresh wort - Double Chocolate Stout dumped on a S04 yeast cake (previous IPA F/W) and fermented @ 18 degrees, nothing else - way too simple to be so damn tasty.

EDIT: Either Doc or Kiwi Greg well end up with one due to the union tipping.

Dont suppose anyone knows if you can get Brewer's selction in Melbourne? I had a wuick search and found a place in sydney, but i sure as hell aint paying a rate of 'kilo per kilometer' to get beer from sydney.

If its not around in Melbourne, I'll just have to test Grain & Grape's fresh wort.

Steve, enjoy!

Chris Taylor, guess it's been a long time coming....

FazerPete, not sure which section it really belongs in - it's an all grain fresh wort, I added water so posted in the KK section, I didn't do any hard work!
Will definately take note of those kits you mention, has been a while since I used canned kits though....

Stuster, yep definately keep these for quite some time, I'm not looking forward to the last one.

Citymorgue2, if you Click here it will give you a list of retailers however I'm sure the Double Chocolate Stout was a one off.

Citymorgue2, if you Click here it will give you a list of retailers however I'm sure the Double Chocolate Stout was a one off.

Cheers! Brewers Den in Melb is only about 20-25min from me. Was planning to take a trip out there at some stage to check it out. now I have a perfect excuse. Cheers again :party:

here is oe for you darkies the next dark beer you make try boiling off for ten minutes some black wattle seeds and add this to the mix .

youl be surprized at the taste i use 60 g / 20ltr batch ummmmmmm

very colonial indeed.

delboy

here is oe for you darkies the next dark beer you make try boiling off for ten minutes some black wattle seeds and add this to the mix .

youl be surprized at the taste i use 60 g / 20ltr batch ummmmmmm

very colonial indeed.

delboy
hmmmmmmm. I can just imagine it. and I know just the recipe for it also (link - post#12) . black wattle seeds. where to get them though? supermarket?

The Mrs. may be allowed a few sips if shes naughty, but thats it.
That's the way, you've got to train them with positive reinforcement :ph34r:

Congrats on another homebrew epiphany anyway!

I'm not sure I'd agree that conditioning them for a long time is necessary (or even beneficial) for most ales, black or otherwise. One of the great things about ales is that they are pretty quick to produce and generally, best drunk relatively fresh. It looks like you've just discovered this for yourself :beerbang:

There's an issue with bottling in that you have to let the beer 'clean up' after the bottle fermentation, but one of the brilliant things about kegging is that you can drink these beers a lot fresher, which is really the way they are supposed to be. Stronger (alcohol) ales like IPA's and barley wines, and stronger (flavoured) ales like really burnt stouts will improve with a bit of age, but you really can't beat a nice round ale that's about 3 weeks old in my opinion.

I also think that ales can be a lot more forgiving (and therefore rewarding) for new brewers.

To be honest, I'm just over Pilsners and happy to see another convert to the dark side of 'superior fermentation'. :beer:

To be honest, I'm just over Pilsners
I thought it was just me :lol: . I'm also getting a little bit sick of the current APA mania as well. It seems that every microbrewery that comes out has to have an APA as it's first offering. I mean they're OK but how about a bit of variety.

MORE DARK ALES! :super:

I'm certainly not saying that all (or even most) beers need long conditioning times. I just think that darker ales can benefit from a bit more maturation time than lighter ones, and that they can develop nicely with some time in the bottle. I start drinking all of my beers at two weeks (or less ;) ) and encourage anybody to keep 'testing' your brews at regular intervals. But it's also interesting to see how things change with time.

(These thoughts are more aspirational ideas than anything borne out of experience. :rolleyes: )

And I'm with you on the ales. Might be time for this picture again.

adverts_lager_boy_poster.jpg

How about this one? (Sorry dial up users :( )

art_lagerboy_whatsthematter_800x.jpg

Their site is worth a look as well, WG. There are some good images in the gallery. Here.

This one seems appropriate for the thread as well.

art_lagerboy_halloween_800x.jpg

Old one from the AHB past

Batz_Goblin_batz.jpg

Batz

Latest posts

Back