Some Guidance Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterkinden

Reaction score
Gents,

So here's the deal - I have just picked up a muntons IPA that i am so excited about it. (even though i won't be able to drink it for some time) I was recently out at Bridge road brewery in Beechworth - they have an IPA that is sensational!

I also got some extra cascade hops (6.3%) - i was recommended by a friend that the way to do it is boil some water and throw in 20g (add 200g of malt before it boils so no spils also) boil for 20 mins then throw in the other 20g for a further 20 mins then add to the kit. can someone confirm this is the way to go? or is there something else to what i should be doing? This is the first real addition i have made to my beers. (newbie)

I am thinking of making it with 500g dex and 500g light malt - is this the way to go? should i be using a different blend?

Also - is the yeast in kit going to suit? what temp should it be fermented at? (as everybody seems to say scrap what the kit says)

i intend to rack to secondary fermenter however i am going overseas for a month in just over 2 weeks. Figuring that it will take around a week for primary it will only be in seconday for a week. should i leave it sit whilst i'm away? or is this a stupid idea?

thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

Pete

Your additions sound as good as any. Go for it. Boil all the extract with the hops. Muntons yeasts are okay so use unless you have a special yeast available.

How long you oversees for ?

If you use temperature control, leave in fermenter for all but the two weeks you have. Try to have the beer finish fermentation. If you have a cube or similiar airtight container, pour into that until cube is completely full and either chuck in a fridge or at least a coolish place without dramatic temperature flucuations until you return. This secondary will be better than 7 days, 7 days and bottle. Bottle on your return, carb up and all should be fine.

If you don't have a cube but a second fermenter, pour into the secondary and leave until your return. If kept somewhere coolish it shouldn't go off. Plenty of people have left beers in fermenters for months and still get a good result. No one recommends it, but does happen.

edit Spelling.

Morning,

thanks for the advice - a few questions

"Boil all the extract with the hops." - do i throw this in at the start with the 200g malt? for the full 40mins?

I don't really have temp control for the fermenters - I have a heating pad but thats about it.

I'm away for a month in total which is why i was hoping to bottle it before i left. Although given your comments i probably don't need to rush it.

As long as i move into secondary it should be ok for a month i think. I suppose the real question is - I can store it where it is currently which will leave it around the 16 degree mark or put it in the fridge given that i will have room as i have to take out the perishable foods anyway. which one is going to keep the beer in better condition?

Cheers,

Peter

Throw the whole 500gm extract in the boil with the dextrose as you turn off the heat ( just to disolve ). If it's finished fermenting & you transfer to secondary it won't hurt to store in the fridge till you return & bottle it'll probably be the clearest beer you'll make , just set the fridge slightly warmer 8-10C if you can.

Latest posts

Back