Soldering Stainless Steel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soldering stainless needs the correct solder flux. Its THE most important thing

you haven't given it a go yet may be surprised how easy like colouring in just cover the weld in nice neat circles.

Yorg said:
Have seen and read a fair bit on soldering stainless steel over on Homebretalk.
Seems like a great alternative to sanitary/unsugared TIG welds.
The key to it seems to be the flux, but all the recommendations are for US brands.
Anyone tried it and have recommendations for solder and flux that are available here?
MHB is correct on the solder cracking...its doable but wont last. In applications where heat is to be applied over and over I'd go with having it welded.
TIG welding is much smoother and neater if done well...and more likely to be sanitary if done right. If you can't do it...pay someone its much harder than it looks.
I welded mine myself using MIG and stainless wire

sp0rk said:
Sugaring is oxidization around the weld, which is remedied by shielding with argon, which is called purged welding or unsugared welding
The other way to do it is weld at low amperage, but that can run the risk of not getting a hot enough weld pool and not having good penetration leading to a crap weld that may or may not stick for long
Ahh, Cheers for that. I'm ordering some BOC Stainshield gas and stainless wire for my MIG in a few weeks. Considered a TIG but sticking with my mig setup right now is the cheaper option. Can't be that much harder than normal steel

some bunnings stock "aquasafe" solder with no lead
it's twice or 3X the price but much safer than oldschool 60/40 lead solder that they also sell

i have checked with the aqusaafe makers and it is also cadmium free

Back